Anyone not like smoked "prime" rib roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Doing a rib roast for New Years and plan to do sous vide but it has made me rethink things. Ordered smoke rib roast before from a good BBQ place and was very disappointed. Tender and all but mostly tasted like a steak and no big deal. Their other offerings are awesome but admit they are basically Memphis style cue. I ran Texas style beef plate ribs over the summer and they were incredible and wonder if I prepared the roast like the ribs I would like it. Just curious.

I love smoked prime rib. This year I made another one on Christmas. Simply amazing and there is no comparison to oven roasted for me. The smoked version is far superior. I keep it simple with salt and pepper for the crust and pecan for the smoke. Good luck with yours.

G

Tastes like a ribeye steak because thats what it is normally not seared on the sides like a steak, my wife rather have it grilled

I was at the grocery store yesterday. They didn't have a single prime rib available, but had boneless Choice grade ribeyes on sale for $6.98/lb. Picked up two that weighed 1.3 lbs each and grilled them last night. So juicy and tender.

I understood by looking at the cuts why there were no prime ribs in the meat case. They'd been turned into steaks.

I like smoke. I did a little four pound boneless prime in my offset three days ago, SPOG over hickory. Better than anything you could ever hope to find at a restaurant. RAY
DSCN1405.JPG

OK. I will have to smoke one (I have another) but stuck with the plan to SV... Here was mine for New Years dinner. Omak style injection with 10% water, 2% roasted garlic better than bouillon, 1% salt, and .5% STPP 7hrs (was going for 8 but got late start) @133F. Injection was a little too bold although some may like that but I prefer when not as obvious.

I think that one I had at that BBQ joint was seared and that is what gave it a steak flavor. So does smoked rib roast taste like dino/smoked beef ribs? That would be insane.

Not sure if any of you have ever been to a Lawry's Prime Rib but it is quite the experience.

20200101_185406_resized.jpg

Looks good . I've never done a whole roast , but have done some thick bone in steaks . Smoked then seared over hot coals . So good .
How much juice if any did you get in the bag , or did the STPP help keep it in ?

Last edited:
Still was some juice but seemed much less than previous runs without STPP.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky