Anyone not like smoked "prime" rib roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Doing a rib roast for New Years and plan to do sous vide but it has made me rethink things. Ordered smoke rib roast before from a good BBQ place and was very disappointed. Tender and all but mostly tasted like a steak and no big deal. Their other offerings are awesome but admit they are basically Memphis style cue. I ran Texas style beef plate ribs over the summer and they were incredible and wonder if I prepared the roast like the ribs I would like it. Just curious.

I love smoked prime rib. This year I made another one on Christmas. Simply amazing and there is no comparison to oven roasted for me. The smoked version is far superior. I keep it simple with salt and pepper for the crust and pecan for the smoke. Good luck with yours.

G

Tastes like a ribeye steak because thats what it is normally not seared on the sides like a steak, my wife rather have it grilled

I was at the grocery store yesterday. They didn't have a single prime rib available, but had boneless Choice grade ribeyes on sale for $6.98/lb. Picked up two that weighed 1.3 lbs each and grilled them last night. So juicy and tender.

I understood by looking at the cuts why there were no prime ribs in the meat case. They'd been turned into steaks.

I like smoke. I did a little four pound boneless prime in my offset three days ago, SPOG over hickory. Better than anything you could ever hope to find at a restaurant. RAY
DSCN1405.JPG

OK. I will have to smoke one (I have another) but stuck with the plan to SV... Here was mine for New Years dinner. Omak style injection with 10% water, 2% roasted garlic better than bouillon, 1% salt, and .5% STPP 7hrs (was going for 8 but got late start) @133F. Injection was a little too bold although some may like that but I prefer when not as obvious.

I think that one I had at that BBQ joint was seared and that is what gave it a steak flavor. So does smoked rib roast taste like dino/smoked beef ribs? That would be insane.

Not sure if any of you have ever been to a Lawry's Prime Rib but it is quite the experience.

20200101_185406_resized.jpg

Looks good . I've never done a whole roast , but have done some thick bone in steaks . Smoked then seared over hot coals . So good .
How much juice if any did you get in the bag , or did the STPP help keep it in ?

Last edited:
Still was some juice but seemed much less than previous runs without STPP.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky