anyone have a recipe for maple flavored breakfast sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stevensondrive

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Springfield IL
getting ready to make some sausage and want to try something different.  I sure appreciate your feedback

It'll probably end up in patties

Steve

Here's one:
[h2]Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage Clone[/h2]
[size=-1]Recipe from: Bernard W Ruland [/size]
[size=-1]Servings: about 1 pound [/size]

Before he became America's sausage king, Jimmy Dean was known for crooning the country hit "Big Bad John." That song came out in 1962 and sold over 8 million copies . His singing success launched a television career on ABC with "The Jimmy Dean Show" where Roy Clark, Patsy Cline and Roger Miller got their big breaks. The TV exposure led to acting roles for Jimmy, as a regular on "Daniel Boone" and in feature films including his debut in the James Bond flick "Diamonds are Forever." Knowing that a show business career is an unpredictable one, Jimmy socked his money away in hog-farming investments. In 1968, the Jimmy Dean Meat Company developed a special recipe to transform those piggies into the sausage that is now a household name.

16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple flavored syrup
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon MSG, such as Accent
¼ teaspoon coriander

Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the
sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown. 

Reactions: stevensondrive
He3 pounds lean pork butt or shoulder 

1 small onion, chopped, about ½ cup 
1 tablespoon kosher or coarse salt 
2 teaspoons dried sage 
1 teaspoon dry mustard 
¾ teaspoon fresh finely ground black pepper 
¼ cup pure maple syrup 
2 tablespoons milk 

Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes. Freeze the cubes for about 30 minutes to firm them up before grinding. Put meat through fine disk of meat grinder. Add onion and grind again. In large bowl, combine meat mixture, salt, sage, mustard and pepper. Mix well, using hands. Stir in maple syrup and milk, and toss lightly to blend. Do not overwork meat mixture. 

Shape into 16 patties. Place patties on platter, cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight to meld flavors. Use within two to three days or freeze for as long as three months. 

To cook, pan fry patties over medium-low heat, grill or broil as you would hamburgers, to an internal temperature of 160°F . Juices should run clear and they should not be pink in the center. Turn once during cooking time. re's another one:

Thank you VeryOldDog for the recipes!!  Very much I do thank you!!

I liked the story about Jimmy Dean as well.

Last edited:
That JD clone is excellent.

On a side note, use Grade B Maple Syrup. IMHO, it will give you more and better Maple flavoring.

The grade A is too mild to my tastes.

Last edited:
On a side note, use Grade B Maple Syrup. IMHO, it will give you more and better Maple flavoring.

The grade A is too mild to my tastes.

dang!  I wish you would have posted this earlier.  oh well.  I made a 5 lb batch.  I guess I'll be giving some sausage away!  lol  I just won't tell them I used Grade A

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky