Any Welders/Metal fab individuals, Central AR, OC, DFW, Memphis areas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

knightsilver

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
Redneckville Arkansas
Im still learning and still a smoking/grilling on a small portable grill, but Im learning,

My first fattie,

Oops, fish is a learning curve, bellow pic

Still Noob, but long time cook.

Im looking in Sept, maybe first part Oct, buying two 26" Weber Kettle grills and the 22" Weber Smokey Mountain.

Thats, $1000 cash, not counting tax and or shipping.

Ive looked at some custom manufacturers from Texas but they want $3000+ and in my opinion, over priced.

Ive got a simple idea for a simple large grill/smoker.

Ive got shop and manufacturing skills, but cant weld or a have a local shop.

If I can find the a somewhat local welder, with common sense, understand basic geometry and inst a educated dummie?

Last edited:
I bought a $90 Harbor Freight wire feed flux core welder.  That can handle welds up to 1/4" no problem.  If you want prettier welds you can spend $500-600 on a mig/tig welder.  Its not too hard to weld grill stuff.  Its not like it has to be as good as a ship hull.  If its ugly you can clean it up quickly with an angle grinder.  Just get some scrap metal & practice before you dive in.  There are videos on youtube that you can check out.

If you are just dealing with flat stuff metal fabrication isn't that difficult.  Just make it out of poster or card board first to get your measurements right.  You can order a welder on their site if you don't live near one of their stores.  If you are in a rural area I am sure Tractor Supply would have something around the same price.

Ive welded some, Ive got bright eyes, didnt care for it.

But for this I might put-up with it.

My Dad has a mig welder. Just catching him in a good mood and any free time he's got. Ill see if he's willing to reteach/teach me some welding basics.

Any good sites for metal?

And what sheet metal type Id use for a charcoal/hardwood grill-smoker?

KS

Link deleted.. Sorry.... Policy... DaveOmak

Last edited by a moderator:
Check "steel fabricators" in your area for a supplier...   The grub looks good to me....    

Dave

Last edited:
I am currently taking someone's old Chargrill regular grill & making a reverse flow smoker out of it.  I have a water heater that I was making a chiminia thingy with & will use the cut out from that tank as my lower plate.  Steel fab places have lots of scrap they will sell ya cheap.

if you don't have one yet, a auto shade welding hood is a VERY good investment. makes welding a song & dance in a cotton field. harbor freight has em for around $40 or so. tractor supply has hobart brand for $50. i've had bright eyes in the past too, but my autoshade took care of that problem.

I started down this route, but I don't know how to weld/have the equipment. I ended up building a pine box and lining it with aluminum flashing. It's working well so far. Lots of right answers, and if you're set on a RF, best of luck. I didn't want to spend the money - for $250 I've got more capacity than I can use (for now). I know i didnt answer your question at all but its another route you might want to consider.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky