Any positives or negatives about this MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lots of MES guru's around here. While I don't have an MES, I do have an electric smoker so let me throw my two cents in:
  1. Not going to get a smoke ring with the MES (or at least not much of one). Doesn't bother me because the taste is still great, but it does bother some folk.
  2. True set it and forget it que-ing. So easy even I can do it, but I tell everyone how hard it is.
  3. Many folks add additional smoke to the MES using one of the AMZN products.
It is not going to be the same tasting que that you get from your stick burners, but it is good none-the-less. I use my electric mostly for quick smokes (e.g. chicken breast, cheese, etc.)

Reactions: Bamabww
Lots of MES guru's around here. While I don't have an MES, I do have an electric smoker so let me throw my two cents in:
  1. Not going to get a smoke ring with the MES (or at least not much of one). Doesn't bother me because the taste is still great, but it does bother some folk.
  2. True set it and forget it que-ing. So easy even I can do it, but I tell everyone how hard it is.
  3. Many folks add additional smoke to the MES using one of the AMZN products.
It is not going to be the same tasting que that you get from your stick burners, but it is good none-the-less. I use my electric mostly for quick smokes (e.g. chicken breast, cheese, etc.)
Thanks for your input. That is what I would use it for as my stick burners are my "real" smokers. LOL!!

I have a mes30 with amnps tray and mailbox mod,i get great smoke flavor (better then my pellet grill/smoker) and as oldsmokerdude said you won't get the smoke ring, but that does nothing for flavor just nice to look at. I have a stick burner also but lack of time makes it hard to use that.

Last edited:
Reactions: phathead69
I have a mes30 with amnps tray and mailbox mod,i get great smoke flavor (better then my pellet grill/smoker) and as hawging it said you won't get the smoke ring, but that does nothing for flavor just nice to look at. I have a stick burner also but lack of time makes it hard to use that.
Thanks smokerjim for your input. Much appreciated.

I should say though i'm not familiar with the one your looking, but the price looks pretty good, checkout bearcarvers step by steps he has a lot of info on the mes's.

Reactions: Hawging It
You can polish junk but it still won't shine !! Had 2 never want another
Richie

Pluses it's set-it-and-forget-it, minuses it has electric parts the that can go south at the most inopportune time.

Chris

Didn't look at the pic , because I didn't want to down load it . I have a 30 and love it . I use it for sausage , hams and bacon . I use it to dry peppers , smoke cheese and do snacks , or as a warmer . I have the Auber controller on mine easy to repair after that .

Reactions: Bamabww
Didn't look at the pic , because I didn't want to down load it . I have a 30 and love it . I use it for sausage , hams and bacon . I use it to dry peppers , smoke cheese and do snacks , or as a warmer . I have the Auber controller on mine easy to repair after that .
10-4 thanks. I also would be using it for small stuff. My stick burners are my smokers of choice always.

D03E8DB1-668F-497E-816D-F125345B384F.jpeg
654BB2B0-2A32-41AC-81D0-92297A583C59.jpeg
244B4538-304B-4863-BD78-4D626D7C8FD8.jpeg
Set and forget with button pushes, older MES 30 on high with a mix of charcoal, chips, pellets along the way. Pull chip loader out a half inch..

WSM also set and forget with IQ130 after you get it goin tho.

Cooked these on WSM for 4 hours uncovered today. Nice pull.

Next will be several sets on gas grill and trying to make TBS with it.

MES... No matter what anyone says, I guarantee you are not going to spit it out.. buy one used on the cheap...they are great for cold smoking or keeping heat out of the kitchen during summer...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky