Any experience/recs for using Fireboard 2 or Signals?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MrAhmerGamer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 4, 2022
I am really enjoying smoking meat on my Weber SmokeFire. I have found the temperature controls fine. I was wondering if any pellet smokers out there used additional temperature monitoring devices like a Fireboard 2 or Signals from Thermoworks? Would you recommend one over the other? Would you recommend them period? What intrigues me about these are the accuracy of these devices and the more detailed information kept about cooks. Thanks!

I'll start with I do not own a Smokefire but what I would say is this:

Before you start buying accessories get to know your smoker/grill by using it as is and learning its pros/cons.If after a while you determine that there's a need for those devices then go for it.

I feel its a good idea to use an external probe to see how accurate the built in probe/settings are. Just for peace of mind. If the grill is off by two degrees, who cares but if it’s a fair amount you can likely calibrate or compensate.

it will give peace of mind when you get into some endless cook and start to question everything

Last edited:
It’s the grill is off by two Drew’s who cares but if it’s a fair amount you can likely calibrate or compensate.

Thanks for the response. I agree. And I am always learning new things here. You smokers have some cool jargon and lingo. Trying to figure out what unit of measurement a Drew is. And which Drew? Bledsoe? Carey? Both are pretty big guys so being off by two Drews could be quite a bit.

Thanks for the response. I agree. And I am always learning new things here. You smokers have some cool jargon and lingo. Trying to figure out what unit of measurement a Drew is. And which Drew? Bledsoe? Carey? Both are pretty big guys so being off by two Drews could be quite a bit.
OMG. Sorry. That was to say degrees. I should proof read my posts better.

• Haha
Reactions: bigfurmn
Yep, you first need to get a good understanding of how your SmokeFire operates. One helpful piece of equipment is to use a calibrated grate thermometer to verify temps against whatever is built-in so you know exactly the temp you're smoking at. My equipment (until they upgraded the controller) was always off by 20º. It was easy enough to compensate once I knew it. These days the I use the thermoworks Signals when tracking a long brisket smoke for multiple IT points. Love the Signals, it does exactly what I need it to do.

Reactions: MrAhmerGamer
I have a GMG Daniel Boone and use a Signals regularly. Originally, I used it as I had uneven temps (addressed with heat shield movement) but then because I crave data at an unholy level (which I over used early but have come to simply inform my cooking plans now, thankfully). I like the ability to keep an eye on ambient temp (I use two of these on either end of the smoker) as well as the product. I also have a Meater Block and love the dual probe (Ambient plus internal). Took me awhile to trust it and to be fair, they lose connectivity from time to time but both provide a ton of data.

That all said, the folks I know who do what I play with as a hobby seem to have built a 6th sense for temps. I like the data and appreciate the ability to analyze and "learn" Signals software seems solid but the connectivity has the normal issues that come with newer home networks (2.4 Ghz only). Bluetooth range is about what I would expect (60 - 80 ft) The Meater Block software is very cool and will try to help you cook, planning rest etc. Not sure I believe it yet but seems easy to use.

Hope this helps.

I have used alot of thermometers weather testing/reviewing or cooking an I think the firevoard is the finest on the market and yes I would use it to ensure accuracy.

Good luck

I have a GMG Daniel Boone and use a Signals regularly. Originally, I used it as I had uneven temps (addressed with heat shield movement) but then because I crave data at an unholy level (which I over used early but have come to simply inform my cooking plans now, thankfully).
This is what sums me up I think. I like the idea of having some data to learn the different heat points of my smoker as well as just really like having the data to review. Feel like I hear great things about both. Went with the Fireboard.

This is what sums me up I think. I like the idea of having some data to learn the different heat points of my smoker as well as just really like having the data to review. Feel like I hear great things about both. Went with the Fireboard.

I have heard NOTHING but good about Fireboard. Nephew has it in his Yoder. I ended up with a pile of different items that are all good enough but I am sure, like any tech, it is only getting better.

Congrats on making a great choice. Fireboard really is the gold standard that the rest chase. Its data logging/history and cloud storage are awesome and when combined with their PID control and fan drive, it is clearly the one to have.

I have experience with Signals and Fireboard. Signals is simply not in the same league.

Ref. Meater - Fireboard will likely come out with their version soon. I did a lot of research on Meater and decided it wasn't robust enough and I would wait on something better. I saw a live feed last night where the Fireboard owner hinted that they were studying this. As soon as it is available I will have one for my rotisserie cooks and the like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky