Another Turkey Question

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by peavley, Nov 18, 2010.

1. peavley

peavley Fire Starter

I am planning on cooking 4 Turkeys for our company next Wednesday.  I am wondering if the cook time will be extended because I will be putting four birds in the smoker.  I have an offset horizontal smoker (Oklahoma Joe).  I figured as long as I keep them all about the same size I should be OK right?  If they are all around 13-15 pounds, what do y'all think the cook time will be?...I know to go off of temp, but just so I know when to get started if we want to eat at noon.  I am thinking I would keep the smoking temp around 300-325 and maybe rotate the birds, so the one closer to the fire box does not dry out.

Any advise will be appreciated

2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

It will probably take a little bit longer with more birds but if you are running at temps around 300-325 that will take the time way down as well. I would think around 5 hours give or take.  Are you going to brine the birds and/or inject them at all? I am doing 9 birds myself this week and am very excited. I have done plenty of birds before but never more then one at a time so. Hope yours turn out great. 

3. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

I agree with Rbrans on the turkey timing thingy. It shouldn't change the time that much for more birds. I would however leave plenty of time for the birds to smoke thou.  

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010