Another Crazy But Delicious Creation: Stewed Pork (W/ Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Not too long ago I was rummaging through the fridge trying to figure out what to make for breakfast. In there was a good sized chunk of pork butt left over from making sausage the day before. Typically I just cut the left over meat into cubes sized for grinding, pack then in 1-pound packages, and put them in the freezer for later use. I didn't want to do that this go-around so while we were eating breakfast, I thought through what I wanted to do with this pork. It was still early so I had all day for it to cook. Here's what I decide to do.

The base for my sauce (full recipe to follow). ro Tel tomatoes with Habaneros and crushed tomatoes
001.jpg

Cut the pork into 4 pieces, into a large skillet with a bit of EVOO, and sear on all sides. Sauce all mixed up in the bowl
002.jpg

Meat into the slow cooker and sauce poured over top. Turn cooker onto high just to get things heated up.
003.jpg

Here we are about 4 hours into it
004.jpg

About 8 hours into it and meat is really starting to soften up
005.jpg

Took the meat out and cut it into small cubes then back into the cooker to soak in the sauce
You could probably do this up front and it'd cook faster. This step was an after thought to be honest
006.jpg

Dinner is served....along with Spanish rice, re-fried beans topped with cheddar cheese, and warm tortillas.....and the executive chef in the background
007.jpg

This came out very, very well. It has a deep, rich flavor with a bit of spice and texture of good Carne Guisada, which I absolutely love. The wife put this on the "must-do-again" list and named it Stewed Pork. Sorry for the lack of creativity with the name but there have been so many new creations over the past few years, we are running out of ideas for names :emoji_laughing: That's ok though as we continue to eat really well around here. I have since done this and left the chunks large and pulled it like PP. That was amazing!! After it's pulled, dump some of the sauce back over top and make sammies or tacos (we did tacos). The rest was frozen and we've used in on stuffed potatoes and huge nacho plates.

Here is the recipe that I put together:

5# Pork Shoulder (recommend cutting into 1” cubes)
1) 9oz tub crushed tomatoes
1) 10oz can Ro Tel tomatoes w/ Habaneros
1 ½ T smoked paprika
1 T garlic powder
2 T dried chopped onions
1 ½ t salt
2 t black pepper
½ t coriander
½ t cumin

I actually had about 4# of pork for this one but rounded the recipe to 5#. When I did the pulled version I did use 5# of meat and the same ingredients. Still came out great!!

For shooting from the hip on this one, I couldn't have been happier with the way it came out. Don't know if I'll be making more until Fall (we still have some in the freezer) but as much as we love a good nacho plate, even in Summer, I don't think the wife is going to allow us to run out of this :emoji_wink:

Keeping the wife happy in Lago,
Robert

xPZha.gif

Looks amazing! Well done. Adding this to the list of things I must make. Big fan of the Rotel with habanero.

Definitely saving for future use!

"Looks amazing! Well done. Adding this to the list of things I must make. Big fan of the Rotel with habanero.

Definitely saving for future use!"

It really was good as well as very gratifying. Thank you for the kind words. I see that you're in Austin. I am literally about 20 minutes from the line into Austin and about 30 minutes from downtown....barring a traffic nightmare on 183, Mopac, or I35.

Sayin' howdy to a neighbor,
Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
"Looks amazing! Well done. Adding this to the list of things I must make. Big fan of the Rotel with habanero.

Definitely saving for future use!"

It really was good as well as very gratifying. Thank you for the kind words. I see that you're in Austin. I am literally about 20 minutes from the line into Austin and about 30 minutes from downtown....barring a traffic nightmare on 183, Mopac, or I35.

Sayin' howdy to a neighbor,
Robert
Excellent. I'm in Pflugerville technically. Was wondering if Lago was Lago Vista. But yeah. North to South is a nightmare here.

Not too long ago I was rummaging through the fridge trying to figure out what to make for breakfast. In there was a good sized chunk of pork butt left over from making sausage the day before. Typically I just cut the left over meat into cubes sized for grinding, pack then in 1-pound packages, and put them in the freezer for later use. I didn't want to do that this go-around so while we were eating breakfast, I thought through what I wanted to do with this pork. It was still early so I had all day for it to cook. Here's what I decide to do.

The base for my sauce (full recipe to follow). ro Tel tomatoes with Habaneros and crushed tomatoes
View attachment 392381

Cut the pork into 4 pieces, into a large skillet with a bit of EVOO, and sear on all sides. Sauce all mixed up in the bowl
View attachment 392382
Meat into the slow cooker and sauce poured over top. Turn cooker onto high just to get things heated up.
View attachment 392383

Here we are about 4 hours into it
View attachment 392384

About 8 hours into it and meat is really starting to soften up
View attachment 392385

Took the meat out and cut it into small cubes then back into the cooker to soak in the sauce
You could probably do this up front and it'd cook faster. This step was an after thought to be honest
View attachment 392386

Dinner is served....along with Spanish rice, re-fried beans topped with cheddar cheese, and warm tortillas.....and the executive chef in the background
View attachment 392387

This came out very, very well. It has a deep, rich flavor with a bit of spice and texture of good Carne Guisada, which I absolutely love. The wife put this on the "must-do-again" list and named it Stewed Pork. Sorry for the lack of creativity with the name but there have been so many new creations over the past few years, we are running out of ideas for names :emoji_laughing: That's ok though as we continue to eat really well around here. I have since done this and left the chunks large and pulled it like PP. That was amazing!! After it's pulled, dump some of the sauce back over top and make sammies or tacos (we did tacos). The rest was frozen and we've used in on stuffed potatoes and huge nacho plates.

Here is the recipe that I put together:

5# Pork Shoulder (recommend cutting into 1” cubes)
1) 9oz tub crushed tomatoes
1) 10oz can Ro Tel tomatoes w/ Habaneros
1 ½ T smoked paprika
1 T garlic powder
2 T dried chopped onions
1 ½ t salt
2 t black pepper
½ t coriander
½ t cumin

I actually had about 4# of pork for this one but rounded the recipe to 5#. When I did the pulled version I did use 5# of meat and the same ingredients. Still came out great!!

For shooting from the hip on this one, I couldn't have been happier with the way it came out. Don't know if I'll be making more until Fall (we still have some in the freezer) but as much as we love a good nacho plate, even in Summer, I don't think the wife is going to allow us to run out of this :emoji_wink:

Keeping the wife happy in Lago,
Robert
Good call! I did one very similar but I cubed and smoked it for about 3 hours prior to crockpot and used all the ingredients you have minus coriander and cumin, added hand ground cayenne and a bit of chipotle seasoning. It was fantastic!

I like the looks of that, and pretty simple to make too. I'll give it a try sometime soon.

Looks delicious. It looks like the dog thinks so too! i'll have to give that a try.

"Excellent. I'm in Pflugerville technically. Was wondering if Lago was Lago Vista. But yeah. North to South is a nightmare here."

P'ville eh? You're 20 to 30 minutes east of me. We live on the north shore of Lake Travis....well sort of. We're just far enough off the lake that we didn't have to spend a fortune on the land :emoji_wink: The homes just down the street (what few of them there are) are lakefront right at the back end of Devil's Cove. We are close enough that we can hear the partying in the Summer but not so much that it's bothersome. Mayhap we should get together for some eats, some time in the pool (if the rain ever quits) and an adult libation or two if you're one to imbibe. Don't know what your family situation is but we are a family friendly place and love seeing the kids having fun. We are kinda like the Kool Aid family but no kiddos in our household

Rolling out the welcome mat,
Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky