all i got is oak, okay?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

70nova

Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
tommorrow morn im doin my first smoke in my custom smoker i built this winter,,oak is all i got,,and what tank temp should i try to maintain?

Can you give a little more info about your rig (stick burner, gas, electric)?  And what are you smoking? 

small wood offset , doin a 10 lb pork shoulder sorry bout lack of info, i know im lookin for 195 internal temp right? thanx

Oak has been a staple wood for bbq for a very long time. Happens to be a wood I wouldn't be without. Go with it.

Reactions: 70nova
I'll chime in with everyone else, oak is a great all purpose smoking wood.  And I smoke butts in the 230*-250* range.

Oak is great for smoking!

I like hickory because I love the flavor it imparts and the aroma during the smoke.

You said a 10 pound butt, so at pit temps from 225 - 250 you should figure on about 2 hours per pound or a 20 hour smoke. Or you could crank it up a bit to 275 and the butt will get done a little quicker and still be just as good.

Good luck,

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky