Smoking brisket advice please.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello schlotz. , curious, at what point do you stop the actual smoke, or do you smoke the whole time it's cooking? I have 2 8 lb points I'm doing but don't want it overly smoked.
I smoke the entire time. FYI, I use a pellet smoker and have never had an issue of overly smoking. Doubt seriously your East Oak electric smoker would be much different. BUT... overly smoked is a subjective term and can mean something different to each individual. I purposely chose to go the pellet route for it's smoke profile which is not at the same level as an offset stick burner. We love the added smoke but still want to be able to taste the meat as well.

Yeah I agree . It's all subjective
Curious, how long would you cook a 8-10 lb point in your pellet smoker? Haven't done a point in this smoker, just a flat to test and it wasn't the almost fall apart texture I was hoping for, but it was still good.
Cooked it for almost 8 hrs.

Yeah I agree . It's all subjective
Curious, how long would you cook a 8-10 lb point in your pellet smoker? Haven't done a point in this smoker, just a flat to test and it wasn't the almost fall apart texture I was hoping for, but it was still good.
Cooked it for almost 8 hrs.
Cook to probe tender, not to a specific temperature. IT temps are just a guide to where you are close. The probe test will tell you when the meat is done. An instant read therm probe or a bamboo skewer either which should push into the meat with same resistance as if the meat was a jar of peanut butter, easy in and out, then it’s done regardless of IT or time.

One issue with points is the higher fat content. I only smoke whole packers i.e. point still attached to the flat. With those I ignore probing the point and only do it on the flat all over. When that is tender I pull it from the smoker. Point kinda goes along for the ride. Others constantly mention the point will probe tender before the flat ergo why you only pay attention to the flat. Having never smoked just a point I'm unsure regarding how to judge probing on them.

Another question is ,I want to take a piece of flat and put BBQ sauce on it to try. Would I do this from the start, or after I put it in foil ?
Huh :emoji_grimacing: BBQ sauce on a freshly smoked brisket. You're hiding the flavor of all your hard work. Defatted pan drippings will enhance the flavor. BBQ sauce masks it. Just my two cents.

Chris

Reactions: schlotz
Yeah, I kinda wish I wouldn't have cut this brisket, but thought the whole was to much for this gathering.
Also I am rethinking the sauce routine. Watched some video of people spraying with apple cider vinegar mixed with water. What does this accomplish? Also a couple with people injecting with beef broth etc... any of you guys tried that?

Huh :emoji_grimacing: BBQ sauce on a freshly smoked brisket. You're hiding the flavor of all your hard work. Defatted pan drippings will enhance the flavor. BBQ sauce masks it. Just my two cents.

Chris
Agreed, just eat it, dont sauce it.

Yeah, I kinda wish I wouldn't have cut this brisket, but thought the whole was to much for this gathering.
Also I am rethinking the sauce routine. Watched some video of people spraying with apple cider vinegar mixed with water. What does this accomplish? Also a couple with people injecting with beef broth etc... any of you guys tried that?
I always recommend trimming a whole packer where you remove the thin portion of the flat like the following image. This will cut down the size of a brisket quite a bit AND will help ensure it cooks more evenly without losing that thin meat to burning/drying up. This may help you cut down the size of your briskets if a little too big:
full-png.png

I'd highly recommend not spraying, spritzing, mopping, or doing anything like that with a whole packer brisket or the point. It just prolongs the cook with marginal if any benefit. If just doing a brisket flat it may need some spritzing but I would simply just wrap in foil with a couple ounces of some liquid at some point around 180F IT or when it looks like it's getting a little toasty. I do this with chucks which are similar to flats in the regard of wanting to dry out if done unwrapped too long.

I do my whole packers unwrapped the entire time BUT I now smoke fat side down and then lay some trimmed fat on the top meat side (meat side up) around the edges of the flat and just all over where it will fit. Nothing too meticulous but just kind of a protective layer that keeps things basting with wondreful beef fat AND... I get beef fat cracklins made from that fat at the same time as it dries an toasts up!!!!

As for injecting, you could but again it's unnecessary on a whole packer. A lot of that mopping, spritzing, etc. is very much unecessary and is just prolonging the cook. If you're looking you're not cooking!
Finally, a brisket doesn't care what temp you are cooking it at, as long as you are not burning it. Same applies for pork butt, ribs, chuck, and beef ribs. So feel free to crank the heat up! I go 275F on mine and would go higher if my smoker supported it :D

I hope this info helps :D

Awesome info tallbm, appreciate your time and to all that posted on my behalf.
I think I will take pics of this cook, and post when finished.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky