Added pic My first reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Test fit on the second part of the exhaust. Also once it was tacked in. I tested the folding operation worked really good and lined up better than expecting. lol Now to triple bead weld it and I get to practice my upside down welds. Yay!!! If it looks crappy I always have the eraser/grinder. 🤣🤣🤣

That folding stack looks like it turned out real nice - great job! And yeah - running overhead welds can definitely be a challenge for me too. I always try to run some practice beads on scrap first, in the same position, before laying a bead on a real work piece - which helps some.

Red

Reactions: irvin78787884
That folding stack looks like it turned out real nice - great job! And yeah - running overhead welds can definitely be a challenge for me too. I always try to run some practice beads on scrap first, in the same position, before laying a bead on a real work piece - which helps some.

Red
Thanks a lot. That’s a really good idea. I might have to give that a try to warm up first.

Reactions: seenred
Well after many hours of welding, heating and clamping the flanges for the folding stack. The main fabrication of it is done. Will make a damper cover for it for when it’s not in use. Will
Make the v basket and the other 2 smaller FB grates that need to go in on the sides. Other that finished some other welds. Then it will be on to cosmetic fix up and cleanup for paint. Oh don’t forget the first fire test and in stall the latches.

Attachments

• IMG_4195.jpeg
    IMG_4195.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4196.jpeg
    IMG_4196.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 26
So just a thought. If I wanted to add say an ash pan/ charcoal basket that I could set in the CC on the RF plate under the bottom cooking grate. Would it actually work. The reason I ask is say I smoke wings and I want to give them a little char. Or at the end of a cook I could do burgers or something of the like since I am using it already. Then I could fire up and basket of coals and do a direct heat to them. Idk if I would even build it but it wouldn’t be permanent either just a thought.

Reactions: JLeonard
So just a thought. If I wanted to add say an ash pan/ charcoal basket that I could set in the CC on the RF plate under the bottom cooking grate. Would it actually work. The reason I ask is say I smoke wings and I want to give them a little char. Or at the end of a cook I could do burgers or something of the like since I am using it already. Then I could fire up and basket of coals and do a direct heat to them. Idk if I would even build it but it wouldn’t be permanent either just a thought.

Evening Irvin!

Not saying it wouldn't be do-able, but I'd be wondering how to get air to your coal bed. The way a reverse flow is designed, it might be a challenge to get enough air to a charcoal fire sitting on top of that RF plate. I'm afraid it would choke itself out from lack of oxygen. Maybe you could add a couple extra air vents - above the level of the RF plate - that would allow a good air supply the the charcoal? I've never seen that done, but it might work.

To my knowledge, most guys who want to direct-fire grill in a RF smoker will build a firebox with a hinged lid on the top. They build an extra cooking grate that sits under that lid - directly over the fire in the bottom of the FB.

Maybe someone else will chime in with an idea I haven't thought of yet.

Red

It might work if you leave the FB door open... I believe all cooking would have to be done on the top grate.. Thinking the bottom one will be to close to the fire (except for steaks)...

Only one way to find out...

Evening Irvin!

Not saying it wouldn't be do-able, but I'd be wondering how to get air to your coal bed. The way a reverse flow is designed, it might be a challenge to get enough air to a charcoal fire sitting on top of that RF plate. I'm afraid it would choke itself out from lack of oxygen. Maybe you could add a couple extra air vents - above the level of the RF plate - that would allow a good air supply the the charcoal? I've never seen that done, but it might work.

To my knowledge, most guys who want to direct-fire grill in a RF smoker will build a firebox with a hinged lid on the top. They build an extra cooking grate that sits under that lid - directly over the fire in the bottom of the FB.

Maybe someone else will chime in with an idea I haven't thought of yet.

Red
Thanks for the info. I do see you point and that’s kinda what I was worried about it not getting enough air. I don’t think I will be adding an extra air inlets. I want to get this thing done. lol The extra added idea was after I was done if I felt like building it and giving it a go. I have seen the FB with lifting lod with a grate under it like u said about.
It might work if you leave the FB door open... I believe all cooking would have to be done on the top grate.. Thinking the bottom one will be to close to the fire (except for steaks)...

Only one way to find out...
Thanks that’s a possibility. I could try that I don’t want to add any extra air inlets to the CC. I have a coal basket I made in my current smoker. I could always set inside on a plate of steel raised up for testing purposes to see if it would work or not before building something that doesn’t work. lol

The stack has its cover for when not in use. Did some extra welding today also on the inside of the exhaust collector to CC. I also ran 2 extra beads on the FB to CC connections to make it a triple welded seam. Should be plenty strong enough.

Attachments

• IMG_4201.jpeg
    IMG_4201.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4200.jpeg
    IMG_4200.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 25
Well another day of working on the smoker. 1 bad thing tho. I almost flopped it on its side while jacking it up to take it off the blocks and putting it back on its wheels. I spent all evening grinding the mill scale and rust off of the base of smoker. 2 other things learned today. 1 next time fully prep each part before it goes together. There will still be prep to do before paint but less I think. Idk maybe I am wrong. lol #2 the rear wheels need to be back more to fully balance the weight of the smoker. I can push down on the back and lift the front wheels of the ground a little bit. So because it’s built I am think of a counter weight for the front. Maybe fill the front legs and front cross beams with mortar. Drill a hole mix it up and fill away. Idk unless I come up with something else we will see. I will be attempting to weight the door tomorrow to get an idea for the counter weight for it. Need to make the stack prop for when it’s folded and I will be going around and fixing up my very early noob welds. They are bugging me. I am still an amateur welder by all means but I can make them a little nicer.

Attachments

• IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4207.jpeg
    IMG_4207.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4206.jpeg
    IMG_4206.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: FritzHlzr
Looking at picture with the tires on... Thinking your going to need some kind of heat shield for them... FB will put out a lot of radiant heat ...

Good morning Irvin!

First off, the closer you get to finishing it, the more I realize that thing is a beast! That's gotta be just about the biggest patio-style offset smoker I've ever seen!

I agree with Keith JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 that you may have some heat damage of those rubber tires closest to the FB. Some heat-shielding fenders of some kind is a good idea.

And I see what you mean about balance - it does look like there's too much weight behind those rear wheels. Only 2 solutions come to mind, and it sounds like you've already thought about both:

1. Add weight to the front as a ballast. This is obviously a simpler and less time-consuming choice, but since this pit is already so massive, any extra weight is gonna make it more challenging to move.

2. Re-building the cart to make the wheelbase longer. This might not be an ideal solution either because, it looks like the only way to push the rear wheels further back is to raise the overall height of the pit. Might make it so high that it'd be less user-friendly, and would raise the center of gravity, perhaps creating new balance issues. I suppose you could both lengthen and widen the rear axle, pushing the rear tires back and out. That would obviously change the overall footprint - which might not be desirable.

Whatever you do, good luck! It's really looking good! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

seenred seenred ... If he went with number 2.. I would think the tires would have to go all the way to the back as the FB door is right there on the side next to the tire now... So tires would have to go back past the door...

See what happens after you get the counterwieghts on the CC door... Thinking that will help weight the front down some...

seenred seenred ... If he went with number 2.. I would think the tires would have to go all the way to the back as the FB door is right there on the side next to the tire now... So tires would have to go back past the door...

Yeah I see what you mean Keith. I made that suggestion without noticing that the FB door was on the front. That probably wouldn't work too well unless, like you say, he moved the rear wheels all the way back.

See what happens after you get the counterwieghts on the CC door... Thinking that will help weight the front down some...

Agreed.

Red

Good morning Irvin!

First off, the closer you get to finishing it, the more I realize that thing is a beast! That's gotta be just about the biggest patio-style offset smoker I've ever seen!

I agree with Keith JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 that you may have some heat damage of those rubber tires closest to the FB. Some heat-shielding fenders of some kind is a good idea.

And I see what you mean about balance - it does look like there's too much weight behind those rear wheels. Only 2 solutions come to mind, and it sounds like you've already thought about both:

1. Add weight to the front as a ballast. This is obviously a simpler and less time-consuming choice, but since this pit is already so massive, any extra weight is gonna make it more challenging to move.

2. Re-building the cart to make the wheelbase longer. This might not be an ideal solution either because, it looks like the only way to push the rear wheels further back is to raise the overall height of the pit. Might make it so high that it'd be less user-friendly, and would raise the center of gravity, perhaps creating new balance issues. I suppose you could both lengthen and widen the rear axle, pushing the rear tires back and out. That would obviously change the overall footprint - which might not be desirable.

Whatever you do, good luck! It's really looking good! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

It is massive for sure. Now I know why people build these this size on a trailer. Only thing wrong with that is I have no place to store another trailer. That’s the only reason I didn’t go that route. Honestly as big as this thing is it moves without much effort ATM. The location I am putting this is the reason the door is on the side instead of the end like most smokers. That is why the rear set of tires were placed where I did because of the door. They would have to be pretty much behind the FB in order to not hinder the door. The fenders are definitely going to happen. I will be looking into the balance as I go and I will finish the door counter weight and see how or if it changes anything as suggested. I am not against adding some frame work and moving the rear wheels if I have to as long as it wouldn’t change the height. I am not a tall person so that’s another factor. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Definitely a few first time builder over looks on it but overall I am still happy so far. Thanks for the help and info guys much appreciated.

There’s not much info on counterweight building for doors or atleast not anything set in stone so to speak. Does the square tube the comes off the door and holds the weight also need to be accounted for? My plan is a 60 degree angle and keep it so it runs inline with the widest part of CC. I want it to rests on the back of CC to hold door also. Any other pointers or directions ?????

Can't help ya on that one as I didn't put one on mine... But in reading others builds it did sound like there was a LOT of trial and error to get it right...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky