A question on pellet brands

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mincraig

Original poster
Jun 15, 2016
I will be getting a Renegade Pro for my daughter and was wondering if the Traeger pellets are best or are there other brands that are better or worse ? And one try BBqers Delight ? Thanks.

LumberJack are mostly preferred.

I have used B&B for years mostly for availability through a local Academy. Many load up on LumberJack from a local BBQ shop that carries them or a local dealer. Not as openly available but one of the very best 100% wood species unless it specifically indicates.

I have used Traeger pellets over the years and personally just not a fan at all. The Renegade sale going with the full setup with front shelf, pellets, 2nd Grate, cover and other goodies is a pretty hard special to beat on a Traeger.

Pat

Another question if I may. How much does moisture affect the pellets if left in the hopper ? If not all are used, should they be removed and stored in an airtight container?

I use bbq delight pellets and like them. I know few people who switch from traeger pellets to something else.
Same, have been BBQ'ers Delight for years, never an issue and very low ash. Traeger's while the name is widely known, their pellets just are not of the same caliber. Either BBQ or LumberJack would be my suggestion.

Another question if I may. How much does moisture affect the pellets if left in the hopper ? If not all are used, should they be removed and stored in an airtight container?
If the smoker is under a cover pellets left in a hopper are a non-issue. I keep some in an old Igloo cooler under the smoker with a love cover and a small lidded trash can under the hopper. My cover is a long cover and it is all on a slab beyond my patio cover. Through it all I have need had my pellets deteriorate due to condensation.

I keep my pellets in 5 gallon home depot bucket with a lid. Keep a them dry and protects them

I use Cooking Pellets, Competition Blend. I buy them from Amazon, bit expensive. I have not tried BBQers Delight or Traeger. These are not available locally for me.

I don’t think Traeger are the worst. But
like most things in the world, you get what you pay for. I try to stay away from pellet brands that use fillers or contain bark. Bark can be bitter.

I leave my pellets in the hopper all the time. But my smoker is covered when not in use and it sets on my carport. I have never had any problem with this.

I try to stay away from pellet brands that use fillers or contain bark. Bark can be bitter.

Bark might be bitter if smoking with whole logs, but I use Lumberjack pellets which are processed with bark and can assure you there is absolutely no trace of bitterness.

Pellets are like spices not 1 brand pleases everybody and the very best way is to pick a flavor and buy a bag,I’m a hickory man but at times i will use all flavors of wood. Going to pu some 5 gal buckets to make changing flavors easier.I like the idea of all of the pellets being from same type of tree forthe best flavor but a blend can be just as good . pecan will be my next bag to try then something else. Times to short to stay with the same food or flavor profile, live large and experamint

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky