A question about binders

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DinkyDoodleDoo

Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
I'm fairly new to sausage making and the only binder I've ever used was homemade rusk. I've come across some recipes that variously use rusk, bull flour, soy protein, dry milk powder, or breadcrumbs as fillers/binders. My question is whether they're interchangeable: would a recipe that calls for half a pound of bull flour be okay with an equal amount of soy protein, for example? Just wondering if there's a rule of thumb for substitutions or the binding/absorption capacities of the various substances.

Cheers!

Soy protein and dry milk powder are interchangeable as described by Kutas in his book. I’ve never used any of
the others you mention. Soy protein should be used at a rate of 5%, and milk powder at a rate of 12%.

Cal

Reactions: DinkyDoodleDoo
All of the binders you mention will change the texture of the sausage. In some that's probably part of the "design" but in others I find it unappealing. I use STPP (sodium tripolyphosphate) as a binder across the board. Just pulling this up from memory I believe it is used at a multiplier of X weight of meat x .0035. This product has always served me well both as a binder and for moisture retention. I do make a Bratwurst that calls for soy protein and I stick with it in that sausage because it is the nature of how the sausage is supposed to be.

Robert

Reactions: 73saint
I have never used any binder in my sausages, fresh or smoked. Meat, seasonings, cure (if needed).

Reactions: stayhot
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky