A little late on this but....can I freeze my sausages immediately after stuffing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leftcoastsmoke

Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Walnut Creek, California
I made a batch of Italian spicy sausage and stuffed it for the first time. I cooked some of it immediately and vacuum packed and froze the rest. I have, after the fact, read where you have to leave the sausage links in the fridge to dry out before freezing. Have I ruined this batch or is it going to be alright?

Scott

They will be fine.

I leave mine in the fridge overnight so the flavors meld together.

Then freeze them the next day.

But freezing them right away won't hurt them.

But next time I would let them sit for a day.

Al

Thank you Al. Will do regarding letting them sit for a night in the fridge. I have another question somewhat related. I was thinking about making some andouille sausage which I know needs to be smoked. Have you heard of people smoking it on the offset smokers?

Scott

Should be no problem smoking in an offset. I'm sure some dk on here. Bear in mmind, if you will not get the sausage to 140 in less than 4 hours, then you need cure #1 or TQ in the recipe. If a short hot smoke getting to 140 in less than 4 hours, then no cure needed.

Bad news, all ruined!

Send to me for proper disposal! LOL

Just kidding, you're good!
laugh1.gif

I freeze my sausage right after stuffing but I let the mixed meat and spices set overnight in the fridge before stuffing so everything melds together. Not sure if your making fresh sausage why you would want it to dry out, its going to dry out some on the barbecue when cooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky