A Few Teriyaki Legs - Vortex

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Went shopping at Feezermart and found a pack of 59¢a pound chicken legs. Why in the world legs are so much less than wings is kind of perplexing, but what the heck. I got them coated with a sprinkling of chilerelleno chilerelleno basic poultry rub and after the vortex was fired up and ready to go I bunched them together on one end so I wouldn't even have to rotate the lid. Had a chunk of Applewood on the grill that provided some nice smoke.
DSCN1892.JPG

After 30 minutes I tossed the legs in a bowl with some Mr. Yoshidas Teriyaki Sauce then put them back on the grill for about another 8 minutes, the pulled.
DSCN1893.JPG

We enjoyed them with a little tater and Caesar salad, great teriyaki flavor, washed down with a Rolling Rock.

DSCN1894.JPG

It really doesn't get much easier than this, thanks for lookin' in! RAY

Looks great Ray . I found chicken back down to $.99 a pound yesterday .
That's a good flavor profile you have there , one of our favorites .
Nice cook bud .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Damn Ray!! You and that vortex are killing the chicken recently. Another beautiful batch my friend. I'd be all over a platter full of those. As beautiful as a batch of legs can be for sure!!

Mmmm mmmm good!!
Robert

Looks great Ray . I found chicken back down to $.99 a pound yesterday . That's a good flavor profile you have there , one of our favorites .
Nice cook bud .

Thanks Rich! I'd never buy legs or wings before getting the Vortex, I was always a thigh guy. This is just so yummy and easy I'm doing it evert week now. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Damn Ray!! You and that vortex are killing the chicken recently. Another beautiful batch my friend. I'd be all over a platter full of those. As beautiful as a batch of legs can be for sure!! Mmmm mmmm good!! Robert

Thank you Robert! I used to use this Yoshidas sauce for stirfry in the wok when we had a gas stove, it's thick like syrup and sweet, really sticks to the meat and provides great flavor. Thanks for the Like amigo, much appreciated. RAY

Great looking chicken legs! I usually pass over the legs/quarters because I feel like they aren't that versatile--but that's just not true. Thanks for the reminder, and good looking cook!

Some good looking legs Ray! You've been putting out some great food with the vortex. I'm with the others... can't beat the price on legs, .88 cents/lb here. Now wings on the other hand...think I would have to pull the gold out of them before I cooked them

Ryan

Those look great RAY! Legs are over looked in my opinion. We do them often and you cant beat the price!

I really like that it takes an hour from the time I light the coals in the chimney till I'm sitting down eating Travis. It's just about set and forget except for a trip to sauce, easy peasy! RAY

Great looking chicken legs! I usually pass over the legs/quarters because I feel like they aren't that versatile--but that's just not true. Thanks for the reminder, and good looking cook!

Thanks Tander, quarters come with the best part of the bird, nothings better than thighs! RAY

Some good looking legs Ray! You've been putting out some great food with the vortex. I'm with the others... can't beat the price on legs, .88 cents/lb here. Now wings on the other hand...think I would have to pull the gold out of them before I cooked them Ryan

Thanks Ryan. I just don't get it. I paid 59¢lb for legs on sale, wings are usually $2.99lb. My wife doesn't even like bothering with wings, says they aren't worth the trouble, no meat. RAY

Yep, I agree with the others Ray, you have been killin' the chicken cooks with that new toy! LIKE! John

Thanks John, if a guy has a Weber kettle the Vortex really makes life a lot easier. Now I'm debating whether to go load up the camper or fire up the SQ36 for a rack of ribs. I'm smokin the ribs! Thanks for the Like John, I appreciate it. RAY

You knocked that out of the park Ray! Those legs are awesome looking!

Thanks Steve! The teriyaki sauce I'm using really seems to work perfect every time, we love the rich flavor and sticky texture. Thanks for the Like Steve, much appreciated. RAY

Dang fine looking chicken legs Ray. Thanks for the idea of using teriyaki on legs. I use it on wings allot, but never thought to use it on other parts.

Point for sure
Chris

Dang fine looking chicken legs Ray. Thanks for the idea of using teriyaki on legs. I use it on wings allot, but never thought to use it on other parts.
Point for sure Chris

Thanks Chris! That Yoshidas teriyaki sauce I use is just about the best I've ever run across. I usually get bottles that weigh 86 ounces for around $7 at Costco, I've seen it on Amazon for about five times that price, wouldn't touch it. Thanks for the Like Chris, I appreciate it. RAY

Looks damn good Ray! Glad freezermart was well stocked up.

I'm keeping the freezer so crammed full of meat things are getting hard to find John. I make a point of getting meat out of it early in the morning, when it's 109º here my garage feels like it's about 130º, gotta get that door closed fast! Thanks for the Like John, I appreciate it. RAY

they look great Ray, we use the drumsticks instead of wings when we're in the mood for hot wings, we just bake them or i'll do them in the pitboss add some wing sauce when they get crispy and enjoy.

Looks Great, Ray!!
Nice Job!
Like.
BTW: Why are Legs so much less than Wings??? Because so many people think a bunch of Skin & Bones is better than a lot of Awesome meat, like we get on Drums & Thighs.
Just sit back & enjoy it. As long as people keep getting sucked into the Wing Market, they'll continue to charge way to much for Wings, and we can enjoy the Better stuff for less$$$.
BTW: I haven't bought a Wing in YEARS !!!

Bear

they look great Ray, we use the drumsticks instead of wings when we're in the mood for hot wings, we just bake them or i'll do them in the pitboss add some wing sauce when they get crispy and enjoy.

Thanks Jim! I think for as easy as it is it's just about ideal. I've been smoking a rack of ribs all day and it's ten times the work and three times the beers. Thanks for the Like Jim, much appreciated. RAY

Looks Great, Ray!! Nice Job! Like.
BTW: Why are Legs so much less than Wings??? Because so many people think a bunch of Skin & Bones is better than a lot of Awesome meat, like we get on Drums & Thighs.
Just sit back & enjoy it. As long as people keep getting sucked into the Wing Market, they'll continue to charge way to much for Wings, and we can enjoy the Better stuff for less$$$.
BTW: I haven't bought a Wing in YEARS !!! Bear [/QUOTE)

I couldn't agree more John! Of course we all know that thighs are the premium part on the bird, but I've recently gained a whole new respect for their legs. You get more meat, the skin is delicious, and they cost less, what's not to like? Thanks for the Like Bear, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks awesome again Ray! BTW--I got that MR Yoshida sauce as you recommended, it is great! Now using on a lot of stuff, even got the Wife to try some new recipes (which is rare) LOL. I got the 86 ounce bottle on amazon for $17.99 free delivery. It was the best price I was able to find here in Ga. Worth it in my book. Thanks for sharing your awesome cooks!

Mike

Great looking Drumsticks. I'm a Thigh guy myself. But I will buy Quarters if priced right...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky