A few items from my Sunday smoke/grill fest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
I had 2 things going at once. Girls were at the beach and were going to be home at 5:30 to be fed, and RV park was having Superbowl viewing party. So I did a mixed of things for both events.

The girls wanted my left over prime rib, so I pulled the vac backs out of the freezer and heated in simmering water (I don't have a fancy SV device). No pics of prime rib other than what I posted when they were original smoked. Along with the prime rib they got grilled veggies and smoked corn on the cob.

Smoker is MES 30, using AMNPS with 40/40/20 Apple/Cherry/Pecan. Grill is portable Smoke Hollow Vector with smoking chip tray, using slate tiles for grilling surface.

Let's cover the corn first. I don't soak mine. I carefully pull back husk, remove silk. Rub with butter and Cavender's Greek Seasoning, then pull the husk back up. I make "tin foil hats" to help hold the husk together, and it keeps the gov'ment from reading my corns mind while smoking. The pan in photos was just for prep, transport and presentation, they went in smoker right on the grill. I did these at 225 for 2 1/2 hours, last time I did 2 hours, these were better while still not being to soft. I like to server corn on the cob as halves. The issue I had last time I did this no one knew it was smoked until they tasted it. So you see I resolved that this time by lining the pan with the smoked husk, I think it made for a good presentation. (BTW, ignore that stray ABT in the 1 pic that is cooks bonus <G>)

corn1.jpg corn2.jpg corn3.jpg

For the viewing party I did ABT, but since I am feeding an "older delicate" crowd, I did mini sweet peppers instead. So let's call them Moderate Buffalo Turds. Basic recipe. Cream Cheese, Shredded Cheddar, and rub mixed for filling, wrapped with bacon. I ended up with 30 of them, I shot the photo before I sprinkled rub on the tops of them. I did them in the smoker at 225 for 3 hours, but felt I needed a bit more crisp, so I turned the smoker up to 275 for last 45 minutes. I think I should have done 250 instead, they taste great and not burnt, but maybe a bit dark, I don't know my first time making them. I was surprised, the only spice in these things is the Rub in the stuffing and the rub on top, but they were actually at the upper limits of "spicy" for the crowd I was serving, if I had done Jalapeno's I would have had to eat all 30 myself. They were a big hit at the viewing party. Do notice I served them on Pink Paper which I am certain made them taste better <G>
mbt1.jpg mbt2.jpg

I had some left over pork ribs from feeding the girls this week. I pulled all the meat off the bones, and cooked it down with a bit of broth and sauce on the stove top to turn it into a semblance of pulled pork, and whipped up a batch of pulled pork nachos for the viewing party. I put them in the smoker for the last 30 minutes that the MBT were in there @275, to melt the cheese and blend everything together. They were ok, but nothing to write home about, and somehow I didn't get a out of the smoker shot of them, only the presmoke shot.
nacho.jpg

Some of you may have read other post of mine where I have talked about grilling on Slate tiles, and this is why. I turned this plate of veggies (asparagus, purple onion, portabella slices, and sweet peppers) into the mixed grilled veggies to go with the prime rib. Slate is a natural stone product, it gets supper hot and holds it, it pulls moisture out (because is stone) so you get less of a steaming effect. And you get a great sear and some earthy flavor as well. I do grilled pizza on it, veggies and fish all the time. Anyway, the really star of this show is the portabella, on the slate they turn into something almost like a mushroom fry that is absolutely amazing. This was the first time my daughter had them done this way and loved them, and wondering if something similar could be accomplished in an air fryer. The grilling is pretty basic. Heat the slate as hot as my portable can get it. A bit of olive oil on the stone, then on go the veggies, season them with Cavendars Greek. After I turn them the first time I put a few pats of butter on top of them to melt down into them and "fry a bit". then maybe 30 seconds before coming off they get a good sprinkle of lemon juice that steams them a touch. The mushrooms stay on quite a while to turn into those mushroom fries I mentioned.
veg1.jpg veg2.jpg

All in all a full day, with lots of happy campers at the end.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky