5lb bottom round roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking at 4am

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
Western Massachusetts
I have a 5lb beef bottom round roast thawing in the fridge I'm gonna smoke on Saturday for a birthday celebration. I know it's a pretty lean cut, I was thinking of doing some kind of injection to make sure it doesn't dry out. I don't normally do injections, any suggestions?
1654714971416798759684485327916.jpg

Reactions: bauchjw
With moore's I inject and rest for 2 hrs then cook.
Marinate overnight if using game meat.
Good stuff.......

moores.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Smoking at 4am
If you're going for medium rare roast beef, it shouldn't dry out much. Especially if you dry brine overnight. After cooking, let it rest for at least 15 min while you get a hot fire and then sear. Slice as thin as possible for the most tender.

I cooked a 2lb. rump roast with just a rub applied to it yesterday, which is also lean. The plan was to pull it between 130 and 140 degrees, but I got side tracked and ended up more like 145°. It was still plenty moist. I'd say you'll be fine without injecting so long as you aren't going to take it any higher than I did.

1654895960907.png

Just cook it from rare to medium and the meat will be juicy and delicious. There is not enough connective tissue to break down as collagen or enough fat to keep the meat moist. Shooting for a nice medium rare is all you really need. Rest for 20-30 minutes after the cook then slice thin and enjoy Beefy juicy goodness.

I agree with the rare/medium rare mentioned up above by DougE and Smokin Edge. You can make great pit beef with slices or cube it for tacos, Indian fry bread, etc. It’s not a “traditional “ smoking cut, but you can do some yummy work with it. Can’t wait to see the the pics!

Reactions: Smoking at 4am
Just cook it from rare to medium and the meat will be juicy and delicious. There is not enough connective tissue to break down as collagen or enough fat to keep the meat moist. Shooting for a nice medium rare is all you really need. Rest for 20-30 minutes after the cook then slice thin and enjoy Beefy juicy goodness.
I was actually considering taking that rump roast I cooked higher, since it seemed kind of on the tough side, but I followed this advice from Eric, and it probably kept me from messing up the roast.

I was actually considering taking that rump roast I cooked higher, since it seemed kind of on the tough side, but I followed this advice from Eric, and it probably kept me from messing up the roast.
Bottom round, top round, and even sirloin should never be cooked beyond 140-145 IT. The texture just gets worse from there. It will become dry, crumbly and over all not enjoyable to eat. Cooked in that right temp range this is a very flavorful and delicious cut of beef.

25 years ago when I met my bride, Carma, she hated “beef roast” her mother always cooked rump or round all day in a crockpot with vegetables. The meat was dry and unfriendly. She told me, “No, just No” Then I introduced her to a 7 bone chuck roast cooked all day. She could not believe the juicy tender difference. Then I cooked for her a bottom round to 135F, again she could not believe the difference or how delicious it was. All the cuts have a place and are delicious. Knowing how to prepare them is quite another.

I like my beef rare to medium rare , but have been cooking some of it to 150 or higher . Still completely tender and juicy . If you get the outside sealed up the moisture can't escape . With a proper rest it's really good for sandwiches that way .

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky