50lb smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sweet chops bbq

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Southern Californ i a
Again I reach out to my smoking friends. I am firing up the UDS to cook the PP I had previously discussed. I have a question about the temps of the meat. I only have 1 digital therm, and 1 digital probe so how can I monitor all the shoulders caerfully and not jack em up? Should i put the biggest ones on the grill closest to the charcoal basket? Also, which one shoul I put the probe in, the biggest or smallest? Should i rotate the meat between the top nand bottom grates? Thanks....

Well my advice isn't going to make you very happy but you need more probes. Its hard to say which one to put them in but IF you only are able to have one probe I guess if it were me I would probe the smallest one since that one SHOULD be done first then when that one is done stick it in the next one. Here lies the the problem each cut of meat will cook differently. I have had a bigger piece of meat cook faster then a smaller one you just never know for sure that is why I put probes in each one so I now for sure where they are at. But if you have to get by with one probe it will turn out fine as butts are pretty forgiving. Good luck.

Taylor probes are only about $15 per, check around, target, sears, walmart, etc. you can do that over the phone. Try to have at least one probe per rack so if you have 3 buts per rack at least one on each rack has probe. Plan on rotating the racks each our to even out the cooking.

You can order extra probes from Taylor, do a search I posted the address, they are only $5 or 6 per probe.

Delta'are you talking about digital probes? I have never seen them that cheap. Is there a non digital probe I can buy and leave in during the smoke? I would rather spend the money and be a hero with awesome PP. I sure don't want to be the guy who smoked the BAD PP. Thanks.

Yepper you need more probes for your big smoke. Now like theses guys have said you don't nee to go out and spend 200 bucks on thermo meters you can buy the cheaper brands (Idid) of thermo's all you have to do is to test them and make sure that there are reading right or really close to right. Use the boiling water to check your probes they should read about 212° and make sue that the probes aren't touching anything metal too. See easy and cheap too.

Yes there are analog thermometers that you can buy at any local hardware store or anywhere that has grilling supplies that you can put in the meat and leave it the meat/smoker while you are cooking it. At least that way you can have one digital one that you can look at and not have to keep opening the door and then when you do open the door you can look quickly at the other analog ones and see what they are at compared to your digital one. Good luck.

No turning back now. The UDS is loaded and smoke is flowing. Thanks for all the tips. 2 fulls racks with no room to spare. Of course pics will follow, more then likely tomorrow as I am understandably a bit "on the edge"...LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky