4th of July Cookout with Q-view and Disappointment…

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rippinntearin

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 6, 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
Hey guys!  Hope everyone had a great 4[sup]th[/sup] of July yesterday!  I spent mine with my fiancé just goofing around the house (wedding planning), cleaning the cars, and still went to watch the fireworks in downtown St. Pete.  Good times! 

So since the 4[sup]th[/sup] fell on a Wednesday this year, we decided to throw a 4[sup]th[/sup] of July party early on the 30[sup]th[/sup] since it made more sense for people to come over bring the kids, drink, be merry, eat some que, and not have to worry about going to work the next day.  So we invited our family and friends as well as my new neighbors to join in the festivities and try my que (most have not enjoyed it yet).  Our guest list reached over 20 people who we assumed would come and go…what was on the menu is below and it all came out tasty and delicious!!!
  • Pulled Pork (2 butts totaling 17.5 lbs) – Perfect!
  • Brisket (Flat only totaling 8 lbs) – A little bit too much fall apart as you will see
  • Homemade BBQ Sauce (my own concoction)
  • Homemade Cole Slaw
  • Homemade Pasta Salad
  • Buffalo Chicken Dip (thanks to a friend)
  • Deviled eggs 2 ways (traditional and guacamole, bacon, and siracha)
  • Meatballs (great recipe with jalapeno jelly)
  • Homemade Peach lemonade (with vodka of course)
  • Homemade cheesecake cupcakes
  • Oh…and tons of Beer, Soda, etc
AND NOW THE DISSAPPOINTMENT…Only 12 people showed up…ugh!

Talk about planning for 20 people, making tons of food, cleaning the house, smoking all through the night (bedtime around 3:15am), not too mention the costs of everything ($$$).  When you reply on an evite that you’re going to come and then send a text an hour before you’re supposed to show up stinks!  We even bought corn on the cob and baked bean which we didn’t even make.  I’m assuming most people don’t understand how long and how much love goes into smoking these big cuts of meat…its not like a burger and hot dogs…

Needless to say, the brisket was devoured and half of the pork was frozen.  Enjoy the Q-view fellas…next time ya’ll are invited and I’m sure you would show…Happy 4[sup]th[/sup]!

ef469e53_CIMG1975.jpg

The Briskey...

7a8224fc_CIMG1977.jpg

The Butts...

f83f5b1e_CIMG1979.jpg

Rubbed and ready for some lovin...

8c93059a_CIMG1980.jpg

After a night in the sauna....(smoked with Cabernet wine chips btw...fancy)

da9974d6_CIMG1983.jpg

After 205 degrees and a nap in the cooler...shred time!

9a5183e7_CIMG1985.jpg

That stuff is just rude! That is a lot of work for half the guests to show. Family...well not much you can do. But Neighbors don't get a call back unless it was an Emergency that made them cancel. Looking at your Q a lot of people F'ed Up Big Time!...The Guac Eggs sound good but holy smokes that is a crazy Color!...JJ

Bummer on the no shows but still not a big loss. Look at the leftovers you'll have.....
icon14.gif
    I would make your rsvp's aware of what you did and at what cost and how inconsiderate they were for not showing up

The spread looks great

Joe

No shows and late cancels are one of two that really make me mad - the other one is not showing up on time and making me hold food for an hour because you can't move your lazy but to get there on time.

Great looking meal 

Yup, sometimes people, even friends, can be pretty inconsiderate. 

Thanks as always for the compliments on the food...most importantly thank my lovely lady for all she did!  All I did was smoke some meat, cigars, and drink beer all night long!  hahaha...  Oh and I made the eggs...

Wow looks fantastic.  I would be pretty disappointed as well, I know how you feel: 

A good work friend of mine did a crawfish boil with about 20 guests rsvped to come;  only one other person showed up besides me.  I even felt terrible for him.

Wow looks great and the people that didn't show up certainly missed out on some good eats! Like some of the others, just rude and certainly wouldn't get another invite unless it was an emergency that kept them away. Just let them smell the smokey goodness and suffer. That's some wicked color on those guac filled eggs!!!! 

Hey leftovers are great...I had some PP frozen when we were evacuated and it made for some outstanding sammies in a hotel room!

when i do a cook with a lot of friends i usually give them about a 45 min. window to get there ( and they all know it ) if some miss the appetizers , too bad . we eat when i say were gonna eat , i know how long its gonna take to cook everything and when that time comes i expect everybody to be lined up with plates in hand . i NEVER punish the people that show up on time waiting for the " fashionably late " . if you want to eat leftovers just come the next day.

Send the no-shows a SmileBox card saying how sorry you were that they didn't attend, and include a slideshow of all the great food and happy party hardiers that did come and were laughing and eating tons and making it a great party that they missed!

Not one thing that couldn't be packaged up and frozen and/or eaten later, just more leftovers for you and paying yourself back for all your hard work.  They lost out; you didn't!

When we invite people over for a BBQ we tell them the time that we will eat and that is final. If the food is ready and the time has come that we said we would eat and they are not there yet and haven't called then tough luck, you get whatever Is left( if any), if none left, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, there will be plenty of BBQ's to come and I'm sure once they taste what we can do...they will make sure to come on-time!

Oh, just wanted to share a pic of what we were sippin on during the party!  Gotta love when one of your buddies works for a beer distributor within their craft beer division...decisions, decisions???

bdb79fac_IMG00830-20120630-1839.jpg

We hate it too having the big bash and half the folks don't come.  BUT----the ones that do show...have a great time!  We are having our annual pool party tomorrow.  I am smoking some butts right now a day early.  Tomorrow Low Country Boil too!  Food looked amazing!

Yeah, there will be plenty of BBQ's to come and I'm sure once they taste what we can do...they will make sure to come on-time!
Yup that's exactly what it is, then few people will cancel and more people will be bugging you asking when the next cook is!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky