4 More Inches Today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
at 6:15 p.m.  we hit minus 5 and got 6 or 7 inches of new snow today, i  really don't mind winter until i have to start shoveling a path for the dog to pee

Last edited:
Grew up in western Iowa but have lived in Arizona the past 31 years . The wife and I have decided to make a big change and transfer to northern Utah next year , I can't imagine not smoking year round so I will be leaning on the northern folks on the how to's of smoking in cold weather .

Depending on which weather service you look at we are anywhere from -19 to -23 deg this morning.  Made some summer sausage yesterday in the MES, had to bring it in the garage last night when the pellets burned out, was -10 out at the time.  

I use this kind of fitting on the MES so it will still vent with the wind blowing in the direction of the exhaust vent.  The picture on the right shows the moisture that was freezing last night when I brought it in the garage.

Did not need a ice bath, that is the current temp in the upper garage.

Gary

Woke up to zero this morning with a high today of 20. The cover on my smoker is frozen to the ground. There's six inches of snow on the yard but at least it warmed enough to clear the roads.

As soon as it gets back into the 30's, it will become smoked salmon season!

Sorry guys, I just can't help myself. I've been looking at all the photos of the cold north and trying to smoke when it's freezing. It's about 70+ here today. We are going to a patio party tonight, my friend fishes in upstate NY and brings the lake trout home to Arizona and smokes them. It's a smoked fish party tonight. Enjoy your winter, I know I will.

Sorry guys, I just can't help myself. I've been looking at all the photos of the cold north and trying to smoke when it's freezing. It's about 70+ here today. We are going to a patio party tonight, my friend fishes in upstate NY and brings the lake trout home to Arizona and smokes them. It's a smoked fish party tonight. Enjoy your winter, I know I will.
It is quite horrible here, possibly one of the worst places you can imagine.  

=|;^P

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky