23# whole Turkey, Am I on the track to success or fail?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jceroli42

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
So I have a 23# turkey, in a Brine for about 48hrs. I have an XL BGE, Adjustable rig. Planning on using some Pecan and Peach chunks. and putting the turkey on a V-rack (no spatchocking). Plan on rubbing it down with a buttery mix prior to putting on, then basting w/ melted butter every 45mins or so. I didn't plan on stuffing the bird with anything.

Based on reading posts (non-stuffed, whole bird), to get a crisper skin the temp I'm shooting for is 350* and estimating it will take about 5hrs 45min to finish. (15min per pound). So to be ready by 4pm, planning on putting it on around 10am ish.. (Although I plan on cooking to temperature, I need to be in the right ballpark)

Any advice is appreciated! Can't wait!

I think that lifting the lid every 45 minutes will increase the cook time considerably. I could be wrong, that BGE may hold the heat even with the lid open.

Mike

So I have a 23# turkey, in a Brine for about 48hrs. I have an XL BGE, Adjustable rig. Planning on using some Pecan and Peach chunks. and putting the turkey on a V-rack (no spatchocking). Plan on rubbing it down with a buttery mix prior to putting on, then basting w/ melted butter every 45mins or so. I didn't plan on stuffing the bird with anything.

Based on reading posts (non-stuffed, whole bird), to get a crisper skin the temp I'm shooting for is 350* and estimating it will take about 5hrs 45min to finish. (15min per pound). So to be ready by 4pm, planning on putting it on around 10am ish.. (Although I plan on cooking to temperature, I need to be in the right ballpark)

Sounds good to me. Just be sure to have the smoker pre-heated and account for the recovery time needed after opening the smoker and adding the bird. With those factors I would probably put the bird on at 9am, you could always hold over in the smoker or oven but you can't speed up the cook.

Best of luck!

I go 225 degrees for the first 2 hrs and increase the temp every hour to 300 degrees. goes for 8 total hrs and gives a great crispy skin, full of flavor , and is juicy as it can get. I also inject with a Irish Butter mixed with Shagbark Hickory syrup -

Reactions: sonofabronc
Sounds like you have it under control then :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky