2 butts and 3 racks babybacks on right now!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coyote-1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I put two 7.5 pound butts on the CGSP at 11:30am. When the smoker temp got to 240 an hour later, on went the babybacks.

I expect the butts to be on til midnight or beyond. They are rubbed only with garlic powder, with fresh garlic jammed inside. The ribs are rubbed in the usual fashion.

sounds like you have a good plan there. Cant wait to see the qview.

Nice start.....Q-View request if possible....
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Sounds good. I'm interested in the garlic part of that, as I'm of the belief that Garlic can enhance anything. I've never used it in BBQ, though, hadn't even thought of it. Q-View would definitely be appreciated, sounds like a nice day though!

Oh man, you have got to try adding some garlic to your Q.
Even if only smoking a head of garlic into roasted garlic. One of the best pulled pork dishes I have made was garlic injected and rubbed.

Good luck coyote, looking forward to the end, especially if you get some nice Qview action happening
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I'm with the J's on this one Jim and John both of them know what garlic can do to some BBQ it will only make it better. It sounds like you have a good plan working so get er done and don't forget the Qview.

Garlic powder is ALWAYS in my ry rub.

This ime, for the butts, it's all there is. With chunks of fresh garlic stuck inside.

The ribs are off now. They are delicious
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I just put the RediChek dual remote into play. Smoker temp 224, internal meat temp 164. Alarms are set to tell me when the smoker temp drops below 200, and the meat temp hits 190.

Just to complete the 'log' portion of this:

Butts went on 11:30am. Ambient temp @60, with some breezes but no big wind. Used 3 baskets of lump, with perhaps 8 small stick splits.

8:20pm - internal temp 190. I'm gonna let the fire burn down with the butts in the smoker. I'll take them out @ 10pm.

I'm pleased that they are ready after 9 hours! Will post Q-view tomorrow.

Q-view time
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

3 racks of babybacks, finished:

Butts, 6 hours in:

RediCheck, telling me that the butts are almost done:

Started eating it tonight. It came out pefect. Easily pullable all the way to the bone, yet nice & moist. While it's delicious, it could have used even more garlic!

I used the 'runoff' from the ribs to make a sauce. In the pic you see them in a long pan. I smoke 'em for 2+ hours, then put them in that pan with a splash of fresh apple cider. After that sits covered for 2 more hours, it has produced lots of juice - I use that juice as the base for the sauce, and for the pulled pork I simply added some vinegar and then reduced it over the stove for awhile.

If you add brown sugar and chopped onions & peppers etc it makes a great BBQ sauce. But of course, because it's a pork broth thing you have to use it quickly or freeze it.

I froze one whole butt, using my standard vacuum seal method (freezer ziploc bag and a straw lol). Maybe that will be my SuperBowl party contribution.

I brought some for lunch today.
Tonight I have to cut the racks of ribs in half and freeze them - after having some ribs for dinner.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky