1000th turkey smoking questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dano126

Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Newb here. Whats the bestest advice I can get for smoking my fist turkey? I've got an 18lb. bird, and going to smoke that bad boy on my Pit Boss pellet smoker. Any preference on what flavor pellets to use? Also, I've read about brining the bird, whats that all about? Then theres the butterfly (spatchcocking)? Then...something about reaching 140 deg. with in the first 4 hours? Do I have enough thens in there??? Anything else I need to take into consideration?
Thanks to all who reply and help,

I don't really know much about your smoker, never used one.
Some store bought turkey's are already brined with a solution so you don't need to brine.
If you decide brine...do a search on brines there are a few brines on here.
Spatchcocking might be your best bet for a 18lb bird.

http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/spatchcocking-the-bird.253554/#post-1623598

If your smoking a whole turkey I would smoke it at 300 - guessing 4 hours breasts should be 165. Make sure whatever your checking temps with is pretty accurate.

Just think of a smoker as a smoky oven, especially a pellet smoker where you can set the temp.

Best wood? I like a 50/50 mix of a strong or medium strong wood and a fruit wood, like cherry or peach. Just finished a turkey a few minutes ago and used a 50/50 mix of pecan and cherry.

Brining: I brine all my birds, but treat them differently if they are already brined, like a Butterball. I cut WAY back on the salt in the brine using only 25% of what the recipe calls for. Brining denatures the protein and allows the cells in the muscle to hold more liquid. If you brine, just keep the bird/brine colder than 40F.

Safety zone: the temperature of the meat has to climb through 40-140F in less than 4 hours. If you are smoking at 325-350F, that won't be a problem. Bad bacteria multiplies if left in that zone for more than 4 hours.

I spatchcock birds when I don't feel like messing with my turkey cannon/beer can holder. The bird below was spatchcocked, even though I didn't lay it out flat on my grates. It cooked in 3hrs 15 minutes, 17.84 lbs.

006.JPG 007.JPG

Pellets? Anything but Mesquite will work. I am a fan of a Hickory, Apple, Cherry Blend.
40 to 140 in 4 hours...This is a safety guideline but not cut in stone. Some processors inject birds with liquid. The liquid almost always contains Salmonella. Smoking Low and Slow, 225 gets a 14 -16 pound bird up to 140 in about 4 hours but Jam a 26 pounder in the smoker and the interior my stay in the danger zone for bacterial growth too long.
You are planing a pellet grill that can go low and slow for a couple hours then turn up to 325 to finish and crisp the skin. No need to worry.
Brine...A brine with Salt, I like 1/2C Kosher per Gallon liquid, has the ability to penetrate the meat taking water with the salt and keeps it there even when cooked. Additionally, salt makes meat protein more tender. So your Brined bird ends up tender and extra juicy.
Spatchcock creates more surface area cutting the smoke time by about 1/3. At 325 degrees a Spatchy takes about 10 minutes per pound to get to an IT of 165 in the breast...JJ

Thanks to all for tips... noboundaries, the idea of thinking it as a smoky oven is kinda what I thought. Once you get up in the 275-300 range, its more oven/roasting than smoking. I did the first hour on pure smoke then bumped it up to 300. Look like its doing good, so far.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky