10 pound prime rib smoke time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pigfarmin101

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2023
Idaho
Hey all! Christmas Im gonna be smoking two ten pound prime ribs. How long do you think that’ll take? Also are the worth basting with butter or just let seasoning do it’s thing? Also should I sear it?

Bone-in or boneless?
Temp your cooking at?
Desired finished temp?

Searing is a personal preference. Personally I don't sear on large cuts. I have basted with butter before and didn't pick up on any noticeable differences.

Chris

I smoke mine at 250° F and it typically takes it about three hours. That said, every hunk of dead critter is different. Allow three to four hours.

Cook To 120° or so and then stick them in a 500° oven or smoker to crust.

Reactions: mike243
Bone-in or boneless?
Temp your cooking at?
Desired finished temp?

Searing is a personal preference. Personally I don't sear on large cuts. I have basted with butter before and didn't pick up on any noticeable differences.

Chris
I have the bones attached but cut, so it’s tied. And I was wanting to have it completed finished at 130-135, so I was debating a sear at 500 degrees when it hits 120-125 internal

Reactions: JLeonard and mr mac
I have the bones attached but cut, so it’s tied. And I was wanting to have it completed finished at 130-135, so I was debating a sear at 500 degrees when it hits 120-125 internal

At 250* you're probably looking at 30 min/lb. You'll want to pull it when you get about 10* from your desired temp if your not going to sear it in the oven. Carry-over cooking will bring it up 10*. If you're searing in the oven then you may want to pull it 15* before your desired temp,

Chris

At 250* you're probably looking at 30 min/lb. You'll want to pull it when you get about 10* from your desired temp if your not going to sear it in the oven. Carry-over cooking will bring it up 10*. If you're searing in the oven then you may want to pull it 15* before your desired temp,

Chris
Awesome, thanks Chris!

Reactions: JLeonard
Bone-in or boneless?
Temp your cooking at?
Desired finished temp?

Chris
Bones are tied on, think I’m gonna do 250, and finish temp probably 130-135. Thanks for the info on the butter too. I was kinda thinking that it may not be worth it. Prime rib is kind of a self buttering cut

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky