10 Lb packer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
Had a 10lb choice packer in the deep freeze. Have a lot of A5 tallow from a big ole A5 brisket cook - couldn’t waste that liquid gold. Do I trimmed and then injected with the tallow all over the flat.
13AE4230-E0D7-4D19-ACD1-9F459B09B343.jpeg

used the tallow that bled out as binder for the rub - Holy Cow.
AD2D3D88-B4CA-420F-AEC3-2163AD98591C.jpeg

This thing cooked weird. I mopped the paper with the A5 tallow and wrapped her up tight.
DD293FC5-1290-4C26-AD11-5C2D2E5C353B.jpeg

Ran at 225 overnight and was running behind so cranked to 300 for the last hour or 2.
43BF7CF5-7C3B-412D-8AAD-1DF3B0249EFB.jpeg

rested and the sliced the flat and pulled the point. Came out with very good tenderness but did lack a bit of moisture. Was very tasty.
BC16F8CA-053F-47D3-9316-29A2FF224E87.jpeg

Using beef tallow on brisket and plate ribs has been a very hot topic this year. Some were experimenting with putting it on the peach paper before wrapping, others were using a generous amount inside the paper wrap, and others were playing around with injecting it. Just two weeks ago I visited first hand with a couple of people that have used it and they raved about it.

That said, I wouldn't have expected any moisture issues at all but your brisket looks a little over done. How long was the rest? And was the flavor noticeably beefier? When you said "it cooked weird" what was different?

Using beef tallow on brisket and plate ribs has been a very hot topic this year. Some were experimenting with putting it on the peach paper before wrapping, others were using a generous amount inside the paper wrap, and others were playing around with injecting it. Just two weeks ago I visited first hand with a couple of people that have used it and they raved about it.

That said, I wouldn't have expected any moisture issues at all but your brisket looks a little over done. How long was the rest? And was the flavor noticeably beefier? When you said "it cooked weird" what was different?
It was slightly dry, the rest took it a bit too far but it wasn’t crumbly or anything. Taste was far superior to choice cut with that A5 tallow. I have a lot of it so need to use it. I think I’m gonna stop the long cambro rest - it consistently overcooks them. Or I need to start pulling sooner and at the right time which I think is the ideal answer. Obviously it’s easier to get tender on the smoker before the rest but for me that is a recipe for drying it out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky