I am new to smoking. Have only done a pork butt, 2 racks of ribs and some boneless skinless chicken thighs. On the thighs I used the same rub I had used on the ribs and butt but I need something different. The rub I have has some spice to it and for chicken I want something that is not so spicey(no cayenne, chili powder etc) Anyone have any suggestions? We love garlice so if there's one that uses a lot of garlic I'm all for it.
- topicChickentagged by System, 7/14/10
Related Forum Threads
- Getting High Temp in WSM Last post on 1/22/15 at 6:16am in Poultry
- Last minute ribs and chicken Last post on 11/30/13 at 4:42pm in Pork
- My Favorite. Whole Chicken Last post on 11/24/13 at 6:43pm in Poultry
- Smoking Chicken Last post on 11/20/13 at 7:53am in Roll Call
- Chicken and Pork Tamales... Last post on 11/22/13 at 4:20am in General Discussion
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
Wish I had read this site before purchasing my Traeger grill from Home Depot. Luckily I was within the 90 days for returns. Like other posts - the pellets would not feed into the hopper - I...
I've owned two smokers. This one does a GREAT JOB for a lower end priced electric smoker. I've created some amazing smoked food in this smoker. I would recommend getting this smoker if you want to...
I've had my SH smoker for about 2.5 years... took a while to get the draft set exactly where I wanted it, but once that was right it's been a dream to use. Under most conditions, and for most of...
I've owned a Masterbuilt for years and I love it. Trying hamburgers for the 1st time today. Wish me luck!!! By the way, Sams has the 40" for $329.00
Needing a good chicken rubpost #1 of 156/8/10 at 10:07amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 156/8/10 at 10:41am
Had some grilled chicked last weekend with Emerils Chicken rub. Plenty of garlic. I havent been able to find a recipe online, however, it is basically garlic, salt, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper and poultry seasoning. I'd probably start with 1 part of each then add garlic as needed. Or i would back off the salt a bit. Hope this helps.
Brianpost #3 of 156/8/10 at 12:05pm
I like to brine mine with the recipe in the WIKI: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/how-to-smoke-chicken-competition-style
It is VERY TASTY!
I also found a good rub over here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bbq-with-bobby-flay/dry-rub-fo-yo-chicken-recipe/index.html
I've used that rub once, but I made the mistake of substituting poultry seasoning for the thyme and sage, and the poultry seasoning was entirely too strong. The recipe has has great user reviews, though, so it should be good *as is*.post #4 of 156/8/10 at 12:18pmpost #5 of 156/8/10 at 12:55pm
Sue, first,welcome to the SMF!
A lot of recipes for rub are a little on the spicy side.If you don't find one from these threads,try taking some of your favorite flavors of spices and some skinless fried Chicken and try different combinations.You may discover a simply Marvelous Chicky Rub. i.e.-
Granulated Garlic,mild Paprika , Lemon-pepper and a touch of Nutmeg.(these are some of my favorite spices) As your taste matures, you could add other ingredients
Hope this gives some insight and,post #6 of 156/8/10 at 1:19pm
If you want something special you can try the rub and marinade section here in the front home page you just have to scoll down to it. Now I would recommand the Slaughter House Brine for poultry. Then if you don't find a rub that you like then maybe try Jeff's Rub and Sauce recipices. You will have to pay for them but they are that good and well worth way more then you pay for it. Then it also helps to keep this place alive and kicking.post #7 of 156/8/10 at 2:17pm
Here is the link to Shooter Ricks rub - it is really good on chickenpost #8 of 156/8/10 at 2:38pmThread Starterpost #9 of 156/8/10 at 3:34pm
I'm hoping that he'll put that in the WIKI -- it's really starting to flesh out now, but there are still many recipes floating around the forums that would make great entries.
Quote:Originally Posted by Scarbelly
Here is the link to Shooter Ricks rub - it is really good on chickenpost #10 of 156/8/10 at 3:45pm
I have not used Jeff's rub yet but will in the near future. That being said...In the past I have used an old hippie spice mix called Spike. It is commercial and can be found in nutrition centers at most Kroger stores. Here in Oregon it is at Fred Meyers and you used to be able to buy in small jars or in bulk for about $6/lb.
It works VERY well on eggs, chicken, potatoes, veggies and avocados etc.
and don't forget to buy Jeffs Rub.
Smokey Mopost #11 of 156/8/10 at 3:56pm
I personally use a 50-50 mix of Jeff's rub recipe, mixed with McCormicks Chicken Grill Mates seasoning - grind up the chicken seasoning and add the rub - There you go! Really a nice taste for chicken, whether whole, grilled, pieces...whatever. Good on Turkey too.post #12 of 156/8/10 at 5:10pmpost #13 of 156/8/10 at 5:17pmpost #14 of 156/8/10 at 5:42pmpost #15 of 156/9/10 at 7:17am
1 stick of butter
1 tbs minced garlic
dried thyme(give it a shake and if it looks good, stop)
Mix softened butter and garlic together, add thyme to taste.
Rub under the skin of the chicken, then brush the skin with EVOO and rub some more garlic butter on top of the skin. Cook until done. It's delicious with turkey too.
- Needing a good chicken rub
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Ground Formed Bacon 5 minutes ago
- › MES 30 Frustrations 5 minutes ago
- › Mrs Bear's Surgery 7 minutes ago
- › Not Dead just about crippled. ShooterRick 8 minutes ago
- › Smoking bacon 12 minutes ago
- › Beef for Shish Kabobs 33 minutes ago
- › Brisket with Mopping Sauce 39 minutes ago
- › Easy chicken recipe? 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › New Dyna Glo offset smoker Mods... 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Converting A Stick Burner To Propane 1 hour, 54 minutes ago
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ