I am new to smoking. Have only done a pork butt, 2 racks of ribs and some boneless skinless chicken thighs. On the thighs I used the same rub I had used on the ribs and butt but I need something different. The rub I have has some spice to it and for chicken I want something that is not so spicey(no cayenne, chili powder etc) Anyone have any suggestions? We love garlice so if there's one that uses a lot of garlic I'm all for it.
- topicChickentagged by System, 7/14/10
Related Forum Threads
- Getting High Temp in WSM Last post on 1/22/15 at 6:16am in Poultry
- Last minute ribs and chicken Last post on 11/30/13 at 4:42pm in Pork
- My Favorite. Whole Chicken Last post on 11/24/13 at 6:43pm in Poultry
- Smoking Chicken Last post on 11/20/13 at 7:53am in Roll Call
- Chicken and Pork Tamales... Last post on 11/22/13 at 4:20am in General Discussion
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is actually a review for Traegers customer service. I don't own a Traeger, but I borrowed and damaged one. I have a Yoder 640. I had loaded 70lbs of pork into it, and went to bed. In the...
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
I've only had the Masterbuilt dual-fuel propane for a month now but have used it 10 times for everything from salmon to pulled pork. I had been thinking about getting a real smoker for a while now...
Needing a good chicken rubpost #1 of 156/8/10 at 10:07amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 156/8/10 at 10:41am
Had some grilled chicked last weekend with Emerils Chicken rub. Plenty of garlic. I havent been able to find a recipe online, however, it is basically garlic, salt, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper and poultry seasoning. I'd probably start with 1 part of each then add garlic as needed. Or i would back off the salt a bit. Hope this helps.
Brianpost #3 of 156/8/10 at 12:05pm
I like to brine mine with the recipe in the WIKI: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/how-to-smoke-chicken-competition-style
It is VERY TASTY!
I also found a good rub over here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bbq-with-bobby-flay/dry-rub-fo-yo-chicken-recipe/index.html
I've used that rub once, but I made the mistake of substituting poultry seasoning for the thyme and sage, and the poultry seasoning was entirely too strong. The recipe has has great user reviews, though, so it should be good *as is*.post #4 of 156/8/10 at 12:18pmpost #5 of 156/8/10 at 12:55pm
Sue, first,welcome to the SMF!
A lot of recipes for rub are a little on the spicy side.If you don't find one from these threads,try taking some of your favorite flavors of spices and some skinless fried Chicken and try different combinations.You may discover a simply Marvelous Chicky Rub. i.e.-
Granulated Garlic,mild Paprika , Lemon-pepper and a touch of Nutmeg.(these are some of my favorite spices) As your taste matures, you could add other ingredients
Hope this gives some insight and,post #6 of 156/8/10 at 1:19pm
If you want something special you can try the rub and marinade section here in the front home page you just have to scoll down to it. Now I would recommand the Slaughter House Brine for poultry. Then if you don't find a rub that you like then maybe try Jeff's Rub and Sauce recipices. You will have to pay for them but they are that good and well worth way more then you pay for it. Then it also helps to keep this place alive and kicking.post #7 of 156/8/10 at 2:17pm
Here is the link to Shooter Ricks rub - it is really good on chickenpost #8 of 156/8/10 at 2:38pmThread Starterpost #9 of 156/8/10 at 3:34pm
I'm hoping that he'll put that in the WIKI -- it's really starting to flesh out now, but there are still many recipes floating around the forums that would make great entries.
Quote:Originally Posted by Scarbelly
Here is the link to Shooter Ricks rub - it is really good on chickenpost #10 of 156/8/10 at 3:45pm
I have not used Jeff's rub yet but will in the near future. That being said...In the past I have used an old hippie spice mix called Spike. It is commercial and can be found in nutrition centers at most Kroger stores. Here in Oregon it is at Fred Meyers and you used to be able to buy in small jars or in bulk for about $6/lb.
It works VERY well on eggs, chicken, potatoes, veggies and avocados etc.
and don't forget to buy Jeffs Rub.
Smokey Mopost #11 of 156/8/10 at 3:56pm
I personally use a 50-50 mix of Jeff's rub recipe, mixed with McCormicks Chicken Grill Mates seasoning - grind up the chicken seasoning and add the rub - There you go! Really a nice taste for chicken, whether whole, grilled, pieces...whatever. Good on Turkey too.post #12 of 156/8/10 at 5:10pmpost #13 of 156/8/10 at 5:17pmpost #14 of 156/8/10 at 5:42pmpost #15 of 156/9/10 at 7:17am
1 stick of butter
1 tbs minced garlic
dried thyme(give it a shake and if it looks good, stop)
Mix softened butter and garlic together, add thyme to taste.
Rub under the skin of the chicken, then brush the skin with EVOO and rub some more garlic butter on top of the skin. Cook until done. It's delicious with turkey too.
- Needing a good chicken rub
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › Trying my smoking wits on St. Louis Spareribs. 3 minutes ago
- › Craigslist Find....To buy or not to buy??? 6 minutes ago
- › Ribs and Relaxation 7 minutes ago
- › Applewood Smoked Apple Dumplings 14 minutes ago
- › BDSkelly ~ Smoked Turkey Breasts on the MES 21 minutes ago
- › Tiny Fatty Appetizers - with pictures 21 minutes ago
- › New Forum Member and question about pork shoulders (smoker shut off... 47 minutes ago
- › full refrigerator a good idea? 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Loin question 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › Fastest smoke I have ever done. 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by montanashawn
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman
- › Weston Pro Series #22 Food Grinder 1HP by TripleQ