I am new to smoking. Have only done a pork butt, 2 racks of ribs and some boneless skinless chicken thighs. On the thighs I used the same rub I had used on the ribs and butt but I need something different. The rub I have has some spice to it and for chicken I want something that is not so spicey(no cayenne, chili powder etc) Anyone have any suggestions? We love garlice so if there's one that uses a lot of garlic I'm all for it.
- topicChickentagged by System, 7/14/10
Related Forum Threads
- Getting High Temp in WSM Last post on 1/22/15 at 6:16am in Poultry
- Last minute ribs and chicken Last post on 11/30/13 at 4:42pm in Pork
- My Favorite. Whole Chicken Last post on 11/24/13 at 6:43pm in Poultry
- Smoking Chicken Last post on 11/20/13 at 7:53am in Roll Call
- Chicken and Pork Tamales... Last post on 11/22/13 at 4:20am in General Discussion
Smoked/Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken & Rice
Last edited: 12/26/11
- Jamacian Jerked WingsLast edited: 4/27/11
- Cutting Up A Whole ChickenLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brining PoultryLast edited: 10/30/12
- How To Smoke Chicken Competition StyleLast edited: 5/25/10
I have A 5x8 Smoke Box, And A Twelve inch Smoke Tube. Stop By A-maze-n Store Today To Pick Up Thermometer. And Todd Took Care Of Me, He is Excellent to work with, even sent me home with some free...
I bought this unit because I was tired of the cheap thermometers at the store. Little did I realize what an improvement this was going to be. The oven probe showed that my smoker was 23 degrees...
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
I have smoked ribs, beer can chicken, pork butts, chicken breasts, all have turned out great. I just turn it on set the temp and forget it.
Needing a good chicken rubpost #1 of 156/8/10 at 10:07amThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 156/8/10 at 10:41am
Had some grilled chicked last weekend with Emerils Chicken rub. Plenty of garlic. I havent been able to find a recipe online, however, it is basically garlic, salt, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper and poultry seasoning. I'd probably start with 1 part of each then add garlic as needed. Or i would back off the salt a bit. Hope this helps.
Brianpost #3 of 156/8/10 at 12:05pm
I like to brine mine with the recipe in the WIKI: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/how-to-smoke-chicken-competition-style
It is VERY TASTY!
I also found a good rub over here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bbq-with-bobby-flay/dry-rub-fo-yo-chicken-recipe/index.html
I've used that rub once, but I made the mistake of substituting poultry seasoning for the thyme and sage, and the poultry seasoning was entirely too strong. The recipe has has great user reviews, though, so it should be good *as is*.post #4 of 156/8/10 at 12:18pmpost #5 of 156/8/10 at 12:55pm
Sue, first,welcome to the SMF!
A lot of recipes for rub are a little on the spicy side.If you don't find one from these threads,try taking some of your favorite flavors of spices and some skinless fried Chicken and try different combinations.You may discover a simply Marvelous Chicky Rub. i.e.-
Granulated Garlic,mild Paprika , Lemon-pepper and a touch of Nutmeg.(these are some of my favorite spices) As your taste matures, you could add other ingredients
Hope this gives some insight and,post #6 of 156/8/10 at 1:19pm
If you want something special you can try the rub and marinade section here in the front home page you just have to scoll down to it. Now I would recommand the Slaughter House Brine for poultry. Then if you don't find a rub that you like then maybe try Jeff's Rub and Sauce recipices. You will have to pay for them but they are that good and well worth way more then you pay for it. Then it also helps to keep this place alive and kicking.post #7 of 156/8/10 at 2:17pm
Here is the link to Shooter Ricks rub - it is really good on chickenpost #8 of 156/8/10 at 2:38pmThread Starterpost #9 of 156/8/10 at 3:34pm
I'm hoping that he'll put that in the WIKI -- it's really starting to flesh out now, but there are still many recipes floating around the forums that would make great entries.
Quote:Originally Posted by Scarbelly
Here is the link to Shooter Ricks rub - it is really good on chickenpost #10 of 156/8/10 at 3:45pm
I have not used Jeff's rub yet but will in the near future. That being said...In the past I have used an old hippie spice mix called Spike. It is commercial and can be found in nutrition centers at most Kroger stores. Here in Oregon it is at Fred Meyers and you used to be able to buy in small jars or in bulk for about $6/lb.
It works VERY well on eggs, chicken, potatoes, veggies and avocados etc.
and don't forget to buy Jeffs Rub.
Smokey Mopost #11 of 156/8/10 at 3:56pm
I personally use a 50-50 mix of Jeff's rub recipe, mixed with McCormicks Chicken Grill Mates seasoning - grind up the chicken seasoning and add the rub - There you go! Really a nice taste for chicken, whether whole, grilled, pieces...whatever. Good on Turkey too.post #12 of 156/8/10 at 5:10pmpost #13 of 156/8/10 at 5:17pmpost #14 of 156/8/10 at 5:42pmpost #15 of 156/9/10 at 7:17am
1 stick of butter
1 tbs minced garlic
dried thyme(give it a shake and if it looks good, stop)
Mix softened butter and garlic together, add thyme to taste.
Rub under the skin of the chicken, then brush the skin with EVOO and rub some more garlic butter on top of the skin. Cook until done. It's delicious with turkey too.
- Needing a good chicken rub
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Jamacian Jerked Wings
- › From North Carolina 2 minutes ago
- › Eye of Round Thai Jerky 23 minutes ago
- › Diff between Pink Salt and Tender Quick? 31 minutes ago
- › Get to know your neighbour night smoke off 56 minutes ago
- › Cleaning the glass door in a MES 30" 58 minutes ago
- › Thank you!!! 1 hour, 33 minutes ago
- › MES Temperature swings? 2 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Big thaw Wings and Mac! 2 hours, 42 minutes ago
- › Christmas Turkey - recommendations 3 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Ribs.....yeah baby....back. 4 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter by Cornman
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot