Overwhelming FeedbackFirst of all you guys are AWESOME!!! This has got to be the best forum I've participated in already, the most helpful bunch of guys hands down. I picked up the Smoke Hollow Electric for 45 bucks on clearance only 3 days after having the best pork chops of my life that were cooked over about 6 hours using a wood fired smoker. Me being a total amateur I figured I could regulate heat a lot easier on the electric because the Smoke Hollow has a rheostat to control the juice going into the unit. In any case I couldn't resist just trying to make some smoke so here's some of the details to fill in answers:
1. My door seal is a little bit loose so I see some steam coming out the lower right hand corner of my door.
2. The vent is in the top of the unit on the back and is maybe a 1/8" hole and I have not seen any smoke come out of it.
3. I didn't smell smoke...so I don't think I'm smoking, just steam from the water pan.
4. The wood chips did NOT blacken or burn at all.
5. I put a digital thermomenter through the vent in the back and was measuring temperature from there....not sure if that's a good place to but it came out about 25 degrees more than what the integrated thermo on the front of the unit showed.
6. I got my temp to about 235 and set my wood pan right on the element and let it set for about 40 minutes. No smoke. I'm going to try using a can or loaf pan like people suggested and failing that I'll put the wood right on the element itself.
7. Good to hear that my unit is a knock off of the GOSM, considering that if I hadn't run into this unit for $45 the GOSM was what I was going to buy.
8. I bought this unit also because I was sick of running out of propane and I didn't know how long a tank would last considering it takes forever to smoke things.
Once again...you guys are a great bunch!!!!