or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Smoking the Staples Today (Brisket and Ribs) Q-Vue on the PBC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoking the Staples Today (Brisket and Ribs) Q-Vue on the PBC

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Last week my wife picked up this cute little brisket from Sprouts.  Today I am going to smoke it along with some ribs.  

For the Brisket, I trimmed and rubbed it yesterday. Standard process except this time I cut some slits in the fat and pushed some chunks of garlic in.   I am going to toss it on my Pit Barrel Cooker, this is the first time I have done a Brisket on the PBC.  I have held back and done them only on my offset stick burner.

 

Wish me luck!

 

 

 

 

Smoke ON!

 

- Jason

post #2 of 17
Thread Starter 

Brisket is on.

I also tried something new.  I kept a few of my trimmings from the brisket and tossed them on the grate to add some additional flavor as they drip onto the coals.  Not sure how much it will add, but what the heck!

 

 

Smoke ON!

 

- Jason


Edited by millerbuilds - 7/24/16 at 8:18am
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 

Going to be adding some Baby Backs to the line up here shortly.

Unlike the Brisket, I did not prep it yesterday.  I find that if ribs (Baby Backs in particular) sit covered in rub for more that 5-6 hours, they become too over powered by the rub and cover up that wonderful smoke flavor.  I threw some yellow mustard and my Rib rub on them.  My Rib Rub is the same as my standard rub minus the cayenne pepper and I double the amount of brown sugar.  Let me know if you want the specifics.

 

Here they are rubbed and ready for a rest in the fridge.

 

 

 

Smoke ON!

 

- Jason

post #4 of 17
Looks good. Sprouts is great. They are expensive but the go to for good ingredients and meat counter. Anyways, the brisket looks good. Do you get different results hanging as opposed to just laying on a grate?
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jond36 View Post

Looks good. Sprouts is great. They are expensive but the go to for good ingredients and meat counter. Anyways, the brisket looks good. Do you get different results hanging as opposed to just laying on a grate?

Thanks.

The PBC is set up to hang meat.  This is my first time with a brisket hanging and in the PBC.  I typically lay them in my stick burner.  I have had great success with hanging other meats, hopefully I will have great results with the brisket as well!

 

I will keep you posted.

 

Smoke ON!

 

- Jason

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 

After 3 hours 45 minutes it hit the stall.  Quite quick, but it is a small brisket and the PBC runs at 270 degrees.

Wrap and let it finish.

 

BTW, I am smoking it with Pecan today.  Normally I like oak or an oak and pecan blend.  

 

 

 

Smoke On!

 

- Jason

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 

Just pulled the Brisket.  It jumped from 198 - 211 quick.  I hope it is good, letting it rest for 4 hours in a cooler.

 

Time for the Ribs.  I added some Cherry and Apple to the PBC and dropped in the ribs.

 

 

 

Smoke ON!

 

- Jason

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 

Pulled the ribs.  I get out voted, everyone but me likes them wrapped....

 

 

post #9 of 17
Looking great!popcorn.gif:
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 

Ribs out of the foil and back in the smoker to tighten up.

 

post #11 of 17

Man! that looks dang tasty.

post #12 of 17

Everything looks delicious!

 

Al

post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 

I just realized that my final post on this cook never posted.

Here is the final product,  The brisket was good, but a bit tough even though I cooked it to 205 and wrapped and rested for 2.5 hours, I think is was just a so so cut of meat that my Wife picked up.  Going forward no cuts under 10 lbs.  The  ribs were perfect!

 

A

 

 

 

Also note that I took the picture of the brisket before realizing I had cut with the grain.  The rest were cut correctly :)

 

 

 

 

Smoke ON!

 

- Jason

post #14 of 17
The brisket and ribs both look fantastic, Miller! Nice smoke ring on both and you can see the juicy....
I've cut wrong to the grain more than once. They tasted the same so "No harm, No foul"!

points.gif
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbuilds View Post
 

I just realized that my final post on this cook never posted.

Here is the final product,  The brisket was good, but a bit tough even though I cooked it to 205 and wrapped and rested for 2.5 hours, I think is was just a so so cut of meat that my Wife picked up.  Going forward no cuts under 10 lbs.  The  ribs were perfect!

 

A

 

 

 

Also note that I took the picture of the brisket before realizing I had cut with the grain.  The rest were cut correctly :)

 

 

 

 

Smoke ON!

 

- Jason

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMose View Post

The brisket and ribs both look fantastic, Miller! Nice smoke ring on both and you can see the juicy....
I've cut wrong to the grain more than once. They tasted the same so "No harm, No foul"!

points.gif

Thanks Smokey!

I changed the cut, so it was only the first two slices.  

 

- Jason

post #16 of 17

Ribs and brisket sound great!

 

Disco

post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

Ribs and brisket sound great!

 

Disco

Thanks Disco!
 

Smoke ON!

 

- Jason

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Smoking the Staples Today (Brisket and Ribs) Q-Vue on the PBC