Here's how I made them:
First ground The elk and pork through a 3/8 inch die.
2. Mixed the pork and elk (50/50) together with cure, dry ingredients And some water with beef base.
3. Then we ran the mixture through a 1/4 inch die one last time.
4. Put the mixture in the refrigerator and let it set overnight .
5. The next day we stuffed into mahogany casings .
6. Hung sausage for 2 to 3 hours with the fan blowing on it to dry It.
7. Smoker at 120 for 2 to 3 hours heavy smoke then turned up to 170 no smoke and it took over 24 hours to reach 152° IT . (Actually had to turn temp up to 190 to get it done.)
8. Put sausage in icewater bath then let hang for several hours then put in fridge .
Any ideas what went wrong? The density/texture was just off and the outer edge of the summer sausage seemed very hard. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.