I pushed the wife to let me make pulled pork for my daughter's 1st birthday party so I need to come through. I have always smoked pork shoulder picnic but my local Shop Rite has Boston Pork Butt for $1.69 a lbs so I took a chance but am a bit concerned. I bought 2 - 6lbs butts which I want to make using a traditional red bbq sauce and a North Carolina Vinegar sauce but have some concerns/questions.
My typical prep is to use the Big Bald BBQ rub on the meat, wrap in plastic, and re-fridge over night. Smoke @ 225F until 165F internal and then the meat goes into a foil pan with some appl ejuice and sealed with foil until ~205-208F.
1) Does using yellow mustard help with flavor or just help the rub adhere?
2) Party is at noon on Saturday so I need to make this Thursday/Friday but not sure how to store it. Should I just put it in some gallon zip lock? Tupperware?
3) Does it matter if I make it Thursday vs. Friday?
4) How do I reheat w/o drying out? I have read vacuum seal and placing in water but that simply isn't realistic.Should I just add some of the sauce and reheat in the over? Crock pot?
5) Should I mix finished product with each sauce or just leave the sauce on the side for the guests?
6) What is the typical % loss after smoke? For example, how much meat will I net for a ~6lbs shoulder?
Edited by sagosto - 9/8/15 at 7:40pm