or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › MES 30'' shocking the heck out of me, lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MES 30'' shocking the heck out of me, lol.

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Just went to put a tri tip in the MES to smoke for dinner, as soon as I slid the metal grate in and it touched the inside of the smoker my hand went numb and got a good zap :icon_eek:. Googled it and seems to be a common problem. Going to call customer support on Monday, idk if they will do anything though it is out of warranty. My thumb is still tingling wtf1.gif

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon91 View Post
 

Just went to put a tri tip in the MES to smoke for dinner, as soon as I slid the metal grate in and it touched the inside of the smoker my hand went numb and got a good zap :icon_eek:. Googled it and seems to be a common problem. Going to call customer support on Monday, idk if they will do anything though it is out of warranty. My thumb is still tingling wtf1.gif


Good chance they'll help you out.

That's an unsafe condition, and I've seen them fix a lot of things after warranty was over.

 

Meanwhile------BE CAREFUL !!!

 

 

Bear

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 


Good chance they'll help you out.

That's an unsafe condition, and I've seen them fix a lot of things after warranty was over.

 

Meanwhile------BE CAREFUL !!!

 

 

Bear

 

That's good to hear, I read someone else got sent a new unit after they mailed them the metal identification plate on the back. I wonder if I could pay the difference and get the nifty new 40" Bluetooth model. Anyway, interested to see how it plays out, good thing I didn't hook up my remote probe inside first, might have fried it.

post #4 of 8

Sure you don't have the new smoker-defibrillator model for all us guy's eating far too much rich smoked meats?

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon91 View Post
 

Googled it and seems to be a common problem. 

I hope it is not a common problem because that is a major issue. For that to happen there would need to be an un-shielded wire coming into contact with the metal interior which should not happen unless something has melted.

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaddox View Post
 

I hope it is not a common problem because that is a major issue. For that to happen there would need to be an un-shielded wire coming into contact with the metal interior which should not happen unless something has melted.


I think thatt's about the 3rd time I heard of it in 6 years, not that I heard them all, but I've read an awful lot of MES posts in those 6 years.

 

 

Bear

post #7 of 8

Unfortunately you found out the hard way your smoker is having some wiring issues. Probably with the wires feeding the heating element and most likely at or near the connections. Sounds like the circuit you have it plugged into is not/properly grounded?

 

NOT a pleasant feeling getting zapped (I know) and could be very dangerous.


Edited by JP61 - 6/8/15 at 12:22pm
post #8 of 8

That will be another heads-up for them , they sure don't want any customer's obituary to appear :ROTF

 

Meanwhile . do be very careful , we need your voice . . .

 

Have fun , take care and . .

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › MES 30'' shocking the heck out of me, lol.