or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Tri Tip...Reverse Seared...& QView
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tri Tip...Reverse Seared...& QView

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

I've never tried a Tri Tip so thought I should rectify that situation...I like to keep things simple....so SPOG'd overnight and then into the MES30 @ 180f with the AMPTS filled with Pecan...

 

 

Pulled it at 115F and had planned on searing it over charcoal but it was snowing..so seared it on the griddle....

 

 

Foiled it and wrapped in a towel whilst I finished the sauces....(Around 40 mins)...then carved..it was perfectly medium rare.....

 

 

QView.....served with roast potatoes topped with brown gravy and grilled asparagus topped with bernaise....coupled with a nice Merlot.

 

 

It was perfectly medium rare and tender..Tri Tip is now my new Sunday roast beef..The cold cut next day was just as good on a sammie.....not as flash as Prime Rib but much more affordable.....I will probably try some marinades next...maybe Garlic/Red-wine or Teriyaki...Any advice on the marinade idea is appreciated.

 

There's a lot more Tri Tip in  my future!

 

Thanks for looking.....

 

Dingo

post #2 of 17
Nice looking! Points!
post #3 of 17
Looks great I'll take that anytime! Like you said great as a sammie, I'm having one tomorrow!drool.gif
post #4 of 17
Tried Tips rule...
post #5 of 17

Nice , I need to bite the bullet and buy one...

post #6 of 17
Looks great Dingo! Tri tip is our favorite cut. Honestly we have tried all kinds of marinades, but always fall back on keeping it simple and letting the meat shine. Worchestershire, garlic, salt, pepper. Mix of cherry and pecan or cherry and Kiawe. So good.

A good addition to Tri tip is Chef JJ's Smokey Au Jus.
post #7 of 17

Great looking tip there. I agree with case. JJ's au jus is the bees knees.

post #8 of 17
Looks awesome!

tri tips here cost just as much as ribeye.
post #9 of 17

I think this will be my next smoke!! Looks great.......

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks everyone for the comments.

 

Thanks Dirtsailor...i love me some worschty sauce....I'll definitely give that a try.

post #11 of 17

I like to marinade tri-tip in red-wine overnight with SPOG & a little kick (usually a decent amount of cayenne/spicy A1) 

 

The meat looks a little weird the next day but its damn good!

post #12 of 17

That looks great.  I usually smoke mine at 180, as well, until they reach 125, there isn't much carry over temperature then.  After the grill heats up, I sear them really hot on the TEC.  I tried the same technique with a hangar steak and I like the tri-tip better(at least this way).  I'll be cooking one this weekend, got a great looking one from Costco.  They rated it choice, but it looks prime to me.  Even select tri-tips are fantastic though.  I usually buy them at a local market for $5/lb.  


Edited by kenafein - 4/23/15 at 9:01am
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNIV0RE View Post
 

I like to marinade tri-tip in red-wine overnight with SPOG & a little kick (usually a decent amount of cayenne/spicy A1) 

 

The meat looks a little weird the next day but its damn good!

 

Thanks mate...That's what I was thinking and how I treat my stir fry beef..I dont need any excuses to try, try & try again!

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenafein View Post
 

That looks great.  I usually smoke mine at 180, as well, until they reach 125, there isn't much carry over temperature then.  After the grill heats up, I sear them really hot on the TEC.  I tried the same technique with a hangar steak and I like the tri-tip better(at least this way).  I'll be cooking one this weekend, got a great looking one from Costco.  They rated it choice, but it looks prime to me.  Even select tri-tips are fantastic though.  I usually buy them at a local market for $5/lb.  


Thanks.....How do you like the Anova? Been tempted for a while now....Just curious.

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo007 View Post


Thanks.....How do you like the Anova? Been tempted for a while now....Just curious.

I haven't played with it enough, but it is a fun toy. It is accurate. of the steaks I've made, I think I prefer more traditional methods. Eggs are fun. I have a lot of plans for it but haven't done them yet. I plan on cooking a brisket flat for 36 hrs and searing and there is a porchetta recipe that I am dying to try. I just got my vacuum sealer and bags though. Before that I was using ziplocs and a straw and a water immersion to get out the air..
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenafein View Post


I haven't played with it enough, but it is a fun toy. It is accurate. of the steaks I've made, I think I prefer more traditional methods. Eggs are fun. I have a lot of plans for it but haven't done them yet. I plan on cooking a brisket flat for 36 hrs and searing and there is a porchetta recipe that I am dying to try. I just got my vacuum sealer and bags though. Before that I was using ziplocs and a straw and a water immersion to get out the air..

 

I agree for steaks...I prefer the Reverse sear method..I make a lot of luncheon type meats..thinking it would be great for poaching them....Confits?

post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo007 View Post

I agree for steaks...I prefer the Reverse sear method..I make a lot of luncheon type meats..thinking it would be great for poaching them....Confits?

I am sure it would work great for those applications. In bags of course.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Tri Tip...Reverse Seared...& QView