SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › Grilling Fish › Smoking crappie, sunfish, cats and northern
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoking crappie, sunfish, cats and northern - Page 2

post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesmc27 View Post
 

 

 

LOL.....I think The truck from down your way will start again soon, he usually makes weekly trips and brings up shrimp and crawfish. I needs me some fresh jumbos...

 

 I just need some more shrimp. Last years shrimp is history. Was all excited the other day, had some fresh oysters and was going the En Brochette route with shrimp oysters and bacon, don'tcha know I was out and didn't even know it. Bah! I usually put up 20/25's twice a year.

post #22 of 31

ive got a bunch of catfish fillets can you use fillets like kippers then but use foil to smoke on?

post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by loucarisma View Post

ive got a bunch of catfish fillets can you use fillets like kippers then but use foil to smoke on?
how big are the filets? Skinless I am assuming? What type of brine you doing?
post #24 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loucarisma View Post
 

ive got a bunch of catfish fillets can you use fillets like kippers then but use foil to smoke on?

I have used tin foil if the fillets are too small to stay on the grate and or have no skin.The side on the foil will be white unless you flip half way through your smoke.

post #25 of 31

Just throwing this out there.

 

</clears his professional announcer voice, puts his hand over one ear and reads the copy>

 

If you have trouble smoking items which are too small for your grate, say "Q-Mats", Todd w/ Amazin Products will gladly set you right up.

 

Long ago before the coated Q-Mats, I had tried using window screen but the hole size was too small and always got pluged. You can get a slightly larger screen sheeting, but did I mention the Q-Mats? They work great for nuts, I used mine the other day for cheeses also. 

 

Remember that name, Q-mats, brought to you by one of our proud sponsors Amazin Products, ask for Ms. Rhonda she's a sweeety!

post #26 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

Just throwing this out there.

 

</clears his professional announcer voice, puts his hand over one ear and reads the copy>

 

If you have trouble smoking items which are too small for your grate, say "Q-Mats", Todd w/ Amazin Products will gladly set you right up.

 

Long ago before the coated Q-Mats, I had tried using window screen but the hole size was too small and always got pluged. You can get a slightly larger screen sheeting, but did I mention the Q-Mats? They work great for nuts, I used mine the other day for cheeses also. 

 

Remember that name, Q-mats, brought to you by one of our proud sponsors Amazin Products, ask for Ms. Rhonda she's a sweeety!

 

Ahhh yes.. How soon I forget. My smoked fish always have the skin on.:hit:

 

Steve

post #27 of 31
I used brown sugar kosher salt soy and a little mesquite flavoring. How long do these go 2 hours or longer? Theyre10 by 4 fillets off of a 5 lb catfish. Sorry for the delay didn't see this post.
post #28 of 31
Thread Starter 

I usually plan on around 3 hours. The fillets should flake with a fork or I use a hand held and look for 140-150 degree mark. I smoke 150.

 

Steve

post #29 of 31

thanks for the info. my pellet grill has been at 170 and almost 2.5 hours almost done. appreciate the reply.

post #30 of 31

:sausage:Great looking smoke nothing like a bunch of friends over to enjoy the feast.

 

       You know why the southern boys talk different because we don't want the northern boys to know what we saying.  :laugh1:  :biggrin:

 

Warren

post #31 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfSmoked View Post
 

:sausage:Great looking smoke nothing like a bunch of friends over to enjoy the feast.

 

       You know why the southern boys talk different because we don't want the northern boys to know what we saying.  :laugh1:  :biggrin:

 

Warren

That is why we cant get the recipe's right....:th_crybaby2:But they are nice enough to give us the step by step...I have gotten many ideas and great recipes from our southern friends.... thank you!

 

:pot:

 

Steve

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Grilling Fish
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › Grilling Fish › Smoking crappie, sunfish, cats and northern