I am still trying out different smoke woods, but two things I learned by now: hickory gives you that hardcore smoke flavour, and nothing can beat cherry wood when it comes to that gorgeous mahogany colour it gives the meat.
So, here's my tryout mixing the two woods - those birds came out absolutely great!
4 hours smoking, started on 300F for the first hour, then lowered it down to 240F, and took it off on about 195F internal temperature.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup sweet paprika, preferably smoked
- 6 tbsp ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp coarse or sea salt
- 4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp onion powder
- 4 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper or chili powder