Not a good start to Thanksgiving. I had an incident this morning. I got Reefer Madness up to temp and placed the turkeys in. While the smoker was pumping in pellets to recover from the heat loss of opening the door, about 15 minutes in some of the bacon butter from under the skin melted and somehow got around the drip pan and started a fire in the smoker and it just escalated from there. It was fairly bad. The turkeys are blackened and sooty, totally ruined.
All is not lost, though. We called Festival Foods, a major grocery store chain, and they are preparing 2 turkeys for us. I am so bummed out. I never gave the butter a thought. Maybe at 225 it wouldn't have been a problem, 325.....BIG flame, too hot.
So take note, folks. Bacon butter burns like Napalm. Be careful with it and control the grease and butter in your smoker. Next time...........NO BACON BUTTER!
The up side:
- It's a good thing I was out there to stop the fire when I did. It could have been much worse. The only thing that got ruined was the temp probe.
- The smoker survived, it's built like a tank. All cleaned up already and doing a gentle 225 burn as we speak.
- I didn't burn down the garage or start the adjacent vehicle on fire.
- and, we still have turkey. Just not mine.