- 73 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Location: Crest Hill, IL
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
If you are cooking with wood only you want a small hot fire in the SFB, if you are putting water on your fire to douse the flames you are defeating your self.
In my CG I use wood splits to cook with the method is simple-
1. Use splits sized for the fire box, 8"-10" long and about 2" thick
2. Start your fire with at least 1 chimney of fully lit lump charcoal placed in the SFB
3. Preheat the wood on top of the SFB prior to adding to the fire, preheated wood starts burning more quickly
4. Make sure your fire gets enough air to burn properly, you may have to leave the ash drawer open a bit or you can also crack the door to the SFB to provide air
Below is a pic of how I set up my fire
In the summer I usually set my wood on top of the SFB to preheat, in winter I preheat inside the SFB, away from the fire.
Remember, small hot fire is what you want, keep the water away from it.