I Googled Texas Hill Country Sausage, found a recipe cited to Gary Howard. Also, KC5TPY on here messaged me a recipe. I modified them a bit, added a little Marjoram, and thats about it. Real close to the recipe by Gary Howard plus Marjoram.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productWeber 40020 Smokey Joe Gold Charcoal Grilltagged by dbsaffor, 8/28/13
- productWeber 60020 The Ranch Charcoal Kettletagged by dbsaffor, 8/28/13
- productWeber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smokertagged by dbsaffor, 8/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
- The function or funtions of the water pan in the "WSM". Last post on 10/21/15 at 8:16am in WSM Owners (Weber Smokey Mountain)
- Getting High Temp in WSM Last post on 1/22/15 at 6:16am in Poultry
- UPDATE - Weber (the company...) rocks!!! RE: New WSM bent, need advice on if this is normal and... Last post on 2/26/15 at 8:25am in Charcoal Smokers
- Bacon in a WSM? Last post on 12/16/14 at 5:50pm in Bacon
Our three year old Traeger developed huge rust spots inside and out despite careful maintenance. It was always covered when not in use and stored inside for the winter. Paint peeled in big sheets...
I purchased one of the very early Traeger Lil' Tex models about 20 years ago. It was the first pellet grill I had ever seen and I fell in love instantly. Over time I added a digital thermometer to...
This product will not work in a propane smoker and it is a known defect by Amazen. The gas fire fights with the smoker for the air supply and the smoker usually looses an will not burn. They...
My stock temp gauge after 3 uses was about 50 degrees off. So I ordered this one cause I have seen this one in many videos and pictures. and the rating was good. Had to make the hole bigger to...
Any advice on my first sausage attempt? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Have you made another batch? We all should know that almost every sausage is better smoked. :) I've gathered knowledge from several people and many books trough out my career but by far the best resource is Stanley Marianski's book Home production of Quality sausages. I've used that book to make many of my own recipes to sell in restaurants. Its very straight forward and gives confidence and knowledge to create your own recipes. Nearly everything in the book is on his website. Links below. The book is 80% geared towards curing sausage/meat but your going to want to make bacon, ham or a cold smoker someday.
If you're smoking sausage and dont have nitrate issues use them. Most recipes will have you hanging fresh sausage for several hours to overnight then smoking at low temps. Cure #1 will make this a much safer process.
I dont let sausage to go over 155* after that point the fat will begin to melt and run. Some people dont like to finish smoke sausage in water but I have not noticed flavor loss. Water is the best for cooking evenly.
Here's a bison (15% pork fat added) and cherry sausage that I made with knowledge from the book. before twisting to links. It was a part of dish that won me a trophy.
I never got one of the final product but this was our temporary cooker at an "off the grid" festival. Thats a bison leg on the spit and i shoveled coals into the smokehouse on the right for the sausage to smoke.
I hope this helps. I really love sausage! Going crazy right now because dont have the equipment to make my own yet at the new gig.
- Any advice on my first sausage attempt?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Easy Peasy Landjaeger 1 minute ago
- › Better than Bacon? 5 minutes ago
- › Skinless Chicken Breasts for the Smoker... 8 minutes ago
- › Pastrami Loaf with QView!!! 9 minutes ago
- › To Insulate or Not to Insulate 12 minutes ago
- › my first smoke + new smoker 14 minutes ago
- › First attempt at smoked salmon 16 minutes ago
- › Live from Jersey 17 minutes ago
- › making the lid airtight 24 minutes ago
- › Spritz or liquid for brisket? 29 minutes ago
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS