I Googled Texas Hill Country Sausage, found a recipe cited to Gary Howard. Also, KC5TPY on here messaged me a recipe. I modified them a bit, added a little Marjoram, and thats about it. Real close to the recipe by Gary Howard plus Marjoram.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productWeber 40020 Smokey Joe Gold Charcoal Grilltagged by dbsaffor, 8/28/13
- productWeber 60020 The Ranch Charcoal Kettletagged by dbsaffor, 8/28/13
- productWeber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smokertagged by dbsaffor, 8/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
- The function or funtions of the water pan in the "WSM". Last post on 10/21/15 at 8:16am in WSM Owners (Weber Smokey Mountain)
- Getting High Temp in WSM Last post on 1/22/15 at 6:16am in Poultry
- UPDATE - Weber (the company...) rocks!!! RE: New WSM bent, need advice on if this is normal and... Last post on 2/26/15 at 8:25am in Charcoal Smokers
- Bacon in a WSM? Last post on 12/16/14 at 5:50pm in Bacon
I've had my RecTec 680 for about three weeks or so. I've already cooked on it about 10 times I imagine. I've got baby backs smoking on it right now. This smoker is worth every penny you'll pay for...
I got this because smoking on my Weber kettle gets a little crowded. In stock form, this thing would probably be pretty useless. I was able to mod it with very little extra money because I...
after my seasoning run and 1st smoking session, I had to alter the unit..closed firebox to chamber up some and added a 3/16 plate deflector on top of it so heat and smoke ran more directly into...
Smoker is everything you need as a novice or pro. I converted my smoker to natural gas. Extremely easy conversion explained by the company on their website. Bought the #51 drill bit at Ace Hardware...
I was on a waiting list to get my Timberline 1300. Now having owned it 6 weeks, It has become a $2000 paperweight that occupies space on my deck. Avoid this grill, Traeger likes to tout their world...
Any advice on my first sausage attempt? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Have you made another batch? We all should know that almost every sausage is better smoked. :) I've gathered knowledge from several people and many books trough out my career but by far the best resource is Stanley Marianski's book Home production of Quality sausages. I've used that book to make many of my own recipes to sell in restaurants. Its very straight forward and gives confidence and knowledge to create your own recipes. Nearly everything in the book is on his website. Links below. The book is 80% geared towards curing sausage/meat but your going to want to make bacon, ham or a cold smoker someday.
If you're smoking sausage and dont have nitrate issues use them. Most recipes will have you hanging fresh sausage for several hours to overnight then smoking at low temps. Cure #1 will make this a much safer process.
I dont let sausage to go over 155* after that point the fat will begin to melt and run. Some people dont like to finish smoke sausage in water but I have not noticed flavor loss. Water is the best for cooking evenly.
Here's a bison (15% pork fat added) and cherry sausage that I made with knowledge from the book. before twisting to links. It was a part of dish that won me a trophy.
I never got one of the final product but this was our temporary cooker at an "off the grid" festival. Thats a bison leg on the spit and i shoveled coals into the smokehouse on the right for the sausage to smoke.
I hope this helps. I really love sausage! Going crazy right now because dont have the equipment to make my own yet at the new gig.
- Any advice on my first sausage attempt?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Eclipse Party Butt question??? 3 seconds ago
- › MES 30 + A-Maze-N-Smoker 1 minute ago
- › Charcuterie Question !! 7 minutes ago
- › Help! Is There Something Wrong? 14 minutes ago
- › Total Fail on Spares 14 minutes ago
- › GARY'S SMOKED BAKED BEANS 18 minutes ago
- › Chuck Eye Steak ‘n Twice Baked Potato 22 minutes ago
- › Two firsts on the same smoke. Am I nuts? 23 minutes ago
- › Help! Is There Something Wrong? 23 minutes ago
- › Grilled Steelhead Trout 30 minutes ago
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by SenseiRogue
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by jdkimbro
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ