I Googled Texas Hill Country Sausage, found a recipe cited to Gary Howard. Also, KC5TPY on here messaged me a recipe. I modified them a bit, added a little Marjoram, and thats about it. Real close to the recipe by Gary Howard plus Marjoram.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productWeber 40020 Smokey Joe Gold Charcoal Grilltagged by dbsaffor, 8/28/13
- productWeber 60020 The Ranch Charcoal Kettletagged by dbsaffor, 8/28/13
- productWeber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smokertagged by dbsaffor, 8/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
- The function or funtions of the water pan in the "WSM". Last post on 10/21/15 at 8:16am in WSM Owners (Weber Smokey Mountain)
- Getting High Temp in WSM Last post on 1/22/15 at 6:16am in Poultry
- UPDATE - Weber (the company...) rocks!!! RE: New WSM bent, need advice on if this is normal and... Last post on 2/26/15 at 8:25am in Charcoal Smokers
- Bacon in a WSM? Last post on 12/16/14 at 5:50pm in Bacon
5 years ago, I bought the Smoker attachment to use as a Grill for my wife and I. Last year, I purchased the Duo Grill. Attached the Smoker immediately and took 13 months before I tried to Smoke...
This is a great smoker for the price. I bought it from Home Depot online for $149. 2 day shipping. So glad I spent the money. My only negative about this smoker is that I cannot set it above 275....
It's a real shame these smokers are not being made like this anymore. Temp control is easy with a tuning plate. Also maintenance is simple as well just like anoy other smoker.
This device offers the greatest kind of grilling possible. Recently a man from Oklahoma rolled into a major BBQ competition with one of these grills on top of a Weber Kettle and took first place in...
I have had it for years, I fire it up, I cook, I shut the dampers and let it cool. then store it. About every third cooking, I give it a though cleaning. I put on a wagon to make it mobile. If...
Any advice on my first sausage attempt? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Have you made another batch? We all should know that almost every sausage is better smoked. :) I've gathered knowledge from several people and many books trough out my career but by far the best resource is Stanley Marianski's book Home production of Quality sausages. I've used that book to make many of my own recipes to sell in restaurants. Its very straight forward and gives confidence and knowledge to create your own recipes. Nearly everything in the book is on his website. Links below. The book is 80% geared towards curing sausage/meat but your going to want to make bacon, ham or a cold smoker someday.
If you're smoking sausage and dont have nitrate issues use them. Most recipes will have you hanging fresh sausage for several hours to overnight then smoking at low temps. Cure #1 will make this a much safer process.
I dont let sausage to go over 155* after that point the fat will begin to melt and run. Some people dont like to finish smoke sausage in water but I have not noticed flavor loss. Water is the best for cooking evenly.
Here's a bison (15% pork fat added) and cherry sausage that I made with knowledge from the book. before twisting to links. It was a part of dish that won me a trophy.
I never got one of the final product but this was our temporary cooker at an "off the grid" festival. Thats a bison leg on the spit and i shoveled coals into the smokehouse on the right for the sausage to smoke.
I hope this helps. I really love sausage! Going crazy right now because dont have the equipment to make my own yet at the new gig.
- Any advice on my first sausage attempt?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New to smoking from central PA! 6 minutes ago
- › First try at UMAi 25 minutes ago
- › Newbie from Aberdeen 28 minutes ago
- › Green tint on Smoked Back Bacon 2 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Brisket for 25 People 2 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › Can you brine Turkey and Chicken together? 3 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Replace Camp Chef controller with PID 3 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Greetings from Malaysia 3 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › Central Pa Weekend Warrior 4 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Smoked chicken pot pie 4 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods