or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Propane Smokers › How to get low smoke temps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to get low smoke temps

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi Guys

I have the Masterbuilt XL smoker and have major troubles getting the temps down to 120F for smoking Jerky

I am using a cast iron fry pan for the wood tray and hickory chucks for wood

My problem seems to be two fold

First to get the temp down to 120 I need to leave the door ajar about 3 inches; which seems to defeat the purpose of smoking

Second when I get the temp that low the wood does not smoke until it gets to above 250F

Would adding additional vents help to lower the temps; if so located at top or bottom of unit?

Open to other suggestions for the no smoke at low temps

Thanks

Bikerbob

post #2 of 9

Bob, you will be needing to add a Needle Valve to get the low temps.Take a look...http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/needle-valves-for-gassers And Search Needle Valve and Masterbuilt XL for the best Mods.

 

You will also be needing one of the Pellet Smokers from...http://www.amazenproducts.com Give Todd a call and ask which Model works best for the MXL Gasser. Probably one of the Tubes will Get 'er Done at the low temps you are looking for...JJ

post #3 of 9

Hi Bob,

 

JJ has you completely covered on this one.  No smoker will keep the wood smoking below 200* so you either need to use a smoke generator like the AMAZEN or you pipe in the smoke from much further away!

 

Good luck with your future smokes.

 

Bill

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks Chef

I was also thinking needle valve and have an inquiry into Bayou Classic Valve

With regards to the pellet smoker; would you know it they take the same pellets as the pellet stoves?

post #5 of 9

As for smoke you may want to consider a Smoke Daddy from another one of our sponsors.  It would give you a more dense smoke and could be permanently mounted to the front, side or back.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/products/smoke-daddy-cold-smoke-generators/reviews/4621

 

Maybe the following will give you some ideas.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/123840/my-cold-smoking-options-w-q-view

 

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

 

 Tom

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbob View Post

Thanks Chef

I was also thinking needle valve and have an inquiry into Bayou Classic Valve

With regards to the pellet smoker; would you know it they take the same pellets as the pellet stoves?

Bob the Pellet Stoves use a questionable mix of woods and some add binders of unknown origin. The Pellets from A-maze-N products are 100% Smoke wood, cherry, hickory, etc. They are made from saw dust that is compressed into pellets without the use of binders...JJ

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbob View Post

Hi Guys

I have the Masterbuilt XL smoker and have major troubles getting the temps down to 120F for smoking Jerky

I am using a cast iron fry pan for the wood tray and hickory chucks for wood

My problem seems to be two fold

First to get the temp down to 120 I need to leave the door ajar about 3 inches; which seems to defeat the purpose of smoking

Second when I get the temp that low the wood does not smoke until it gets to above 250F

Would adding additional vents help to lower the temps; if so located at top or bottom of unit?

Open to other suggestions for the no smoke at low temps

Thanks

Bikerbob

Hi BikerBob

 

I use my MB XL for all my sausage-smoking & the occasional jerky batch. I keep the temp ranges in the 120-150°F most of the time.

Keeping it in the low 100s (<120) is more of a challenge, but the key is doing what Chef Jimmy suggests: a valve inserted into the chain in order to reduce gas flow and keep temps down.

 

I also use the A-Maze-n devices for smoke generation (both pellets and dust). The latest smoking device (the Tube) seems to work very well — the best of the smoker mazes— within the confines of the Masterbuilt box. Ideal for cold smoking.

 

Smoking jerky in the XL. Kept temps in the 110-125°F range with plenty of smoke...

 

 

 

Kevin

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks Fellas

 

Looks like a needle valve and Amaz-n-smoke are in order

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbob View Post

Thanks Fellas

 

Looks like a needle valve and Amaz-n-smoke are in order

 

Just make sure you talk to Todd. He has different products and some work better than others in various Smokers...JJ

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Propane Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Propane Smokers › How to get low smoke temps