Thanks to Scarbelly for adding me to the group! Even though it is designed to promote competitive BBQ, the information that is provided at the meetings will help any type of cook / BBQr and all are welcome to hang out. Here's the basics for the SoCal Meat Up group.
Mentoring new competitive BBQ enthusiast and teams has always been a goal of many BBQ Teams as that's how they got their start in competitive BBQ competitions – a few people in Southern California have taken it a step further by creating the SoCal MeatUp group to help this process. The group was formed by Andy (Rooftop BBQ), Aaron (Meat, Inc.), Andy (Master of Disaster), and Pete (Screaming Pete) among others. Recently we held our first "meating" to discuss some goals and what we wanted to get out of the group. Over 20 individuals attended the inaugural meeting including more than 10 individuals considering on creating a competition BBQ team, 4 certified KCBS Judges, and several experienced competition BBQ Teams and professional cooks.
SoCal MeatUp was created with several key goals in mind
* Introduce Competition BBQ to fans, cooks, and individuals considering on becoming or getting involved with competition BBQ
* Host and organize friendly backyard competitions to help new teams gain the confidence and understanding process of competition BBQ
* Meet other Competition BBQ enthusiast and judges who share a similar passion for BBQ and competing in a friendly environment
* Provide a Team mentoring program by pairing new up and coming teams with existing teams, allowing individuals to pair up with existing teams prior to starting their own team and pair individuals with other individuals to establish new competitive teams
* Review and promote various BBQ cooking devices, sauces, and meats
* Discuss various BBQ cooking techniques and hints to give competitors a competitive edge
* Meet new friends and have a good time
If your interested in learning the art of competitive BBQ or just what it takes to compete please contact via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or our FB page and let us know your interested in attending the next meeting.
The only additional thing I would like to add is - this is a group for all of us. There are no specific leaders so in order for the group to be successful, we all need to participate when we can. I look forward to meeting lots of new people if not at the Meat Up! meetings, then at least at the competitions we are in. Please introduce yourselves and say hi!
Thanks - Aaron