Viability of Alternative Flavor Profiles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

runbirdman

Original poster
Jul 17, 2023
Nashville, TN
A little backstory:

A coworker and I started competing last year. October was our first, and only, competition. We are now signed up for six in 2024. Our showing in October left us encouraged but also gave us a ton to work on. We competed in ribs, pork, did a tritip for the "anything but," and a dessert. We had top 12 finishes in every category out of a 50+ team field. Our first KCBS is in March. We have been working on developing our flavor profiles and presentation for chicken.

We have done legs and thighs. We've made a lot of headway on texture, consistency, and presentation but we're stumped on flavor profiles that will enable us to stand out of the crowd. From a flavor perspective, we had good luck with all our other recipes being significantly outside the box. I know we take the chance of being polarizing, but I hope to ensure the judges taste nothing like what we give them. For chicken, I have a few questions.

Is char siu viable in competition? With the fermented bean paste, I've had incredible success getting rich red/mahogany colors on every batch I've tried. The flavor is familiar (most people have had a very Americanized char siu at some point) but new because the smokiness adds another layer of flavor to a very sweet and umami profile.

I know nuttin' about competitions, but howdy, and welcome to the group from New Mexico.

I know nuttin' about competitions, but howdy, and welcome to the group from New Mexico.
Thanks. I’ve been lurking for a while.

I would avoid char siu for kcbs comps and stick to a flavor profile more suited to whatever region your judges are from.
Thanks for the response. I’m not meaning this in an argumentative way at all, but why? BBQ fusion is exploding across the country. If the cooking technique is well executed, is there a place in competition for building flavor profiles that may be rooted in the same pillars of flavor (I.e. sweet, umami, salty, etc.) but are markedly different?

Thanks. I’ve been lurking for a while.

Thanks for the response. I’m not meaning this in an argumentative way at all, but why? BBQ fusion is exploding across the country. If the cooking technique is well executed, is there a place in competition for building flavor profiles that may be rooted in the same pillars of flavor (I.e. sweet, umami, salty, etc.) but are markedly different?
I've never completed but I've watched and read a lot of judges commentary. I think Jake is spot on. Typically they are looking for explosive traditional flavor profiles. I'd suggest you find out some of the judges in your area and discuss

Kcbs comps vary by region. What judges are looking for flavor wise in Tennessee won’t be the same thing they are looking for in Missouri or Texas or Georgia etc.

As stated above they are also geared towards very pronounced traditional bbq flavors. You can play with adding depths of flavor by adjusting sweet, spicy etc as long as you follow the regions flavor pallet.

Judges usually take one bite and move on. You offend their pallet with that bite and you are done.

There are backyard comps everywhere that you can stray from the norms of bbq but a kcbs comp isn’t the place you want to play around with “fusion”.

Example: at a KCBS comp last year here in GA 2 judges loved my brisket with 9's.
2 said "too peppery for GA" and I received a 7 from them🙃 Same recipe I've used for 2 local comps with a GC.

Different regions =different flavor profiles.
Jake is also speaking from experience!

They do usually like a little back end heat and most use Blues Hog sauce mixed with their local favorite. Down here I mix BH and Texas Pete traditional BBQ sauce.
Mix will be different for you but definitely use BH for your base.

Good luck and keep us posted!

EDIT:
I am not an expert so that's just MY 2 coins

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky