SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Woods for Smoking › Wet Vs. Dry Wood Burn Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wet Vs. Dry Wood Burn Comparison - Page 3

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfactor View Post

Now I'm really confused.....



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIB View Post




 

I understand the stuff inside the drum  to be vaporized creosote.

The stuff that dripped out was tar like but I understand this to be 3rd stage creosote.

 

The Blow torch gases are methane and methanol as well as acid and Carbon Dioxides, however, creosote is present in these gasses.

 

Here's a video showing the vapor, then gasification

 


I'm not exactly sure what "3rd stage creosote" is.  I googled it, and I found it related back to chimneys, where they just generally call everything creosote.

 

The terms "vapor" and "gasification" are being used loosey goosey as it relates to making charcoal.  You can't see water vapor, and the process being called gasification is actually pyrolosis.

 

post #42 of 49

cool test... Thanks for posting its got me thinking now...241.png

post #43 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyotrain View Post

cool test... Thanks for posting its got me thinking now...241.png



Give it a try and post the results, the technical stuff is to much for me......TBS=Good,  billowing white stuff=bad. How you get there is all good. PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by meateater View Post

Give it a try and post the results, the technical stuff is to much for me......TBS=Good,  billowing white stuff=bad. How you get there is all good. PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif


Yup !

 

post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post

Now for the next test. soaking in wine, beer apple juice etc etc.

I have use all the above including the water and i do think it is best with soaking and i do think each adds its own flavor. I have also been told it is all in my head.

th_dunno-1[1].gif

What the heck i feel better doing it.

Tnx again Meat

 

Karl

 

 I am NOT wasting MY beer, wine or apple juice soaking wood  biggrin.gif
 

 

post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfactor View Post

Now I'm really confused.....



biggrin.gif  That's when you just keep on, keeping on.  I always soaked, but not for any 24 hours. 2 to 3 hours is fine.

post #47 of 49

Switching up the conversation a bit... Lets talk wood chips.  Soak/Not Soak, wrap in foil or put directly on coals?

 

In the past I have always soaked for 3 hours, wrapped in foil, cut slits in foil, and put directly on the coals.  The chips seems to burn pretty fast and I am replacing every 30-45 minutes.  The foil doesnt seem to slow down the burn by much.  I would like to switch to Chunks but I bought too many bags of chips

post #48 of 49



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post

Switching up the conversation a bit... Lets talk wood chips.  Soak/Not Soak, wrap in foil or put directly on coals?

 

In the past I have always soaked for 3 hours, wrapped in foil, cut slits in foil, and put directly on the coals.  The chips seems to burn pretty fast and I am replacing every 30-45 minutes.  The foil doesn't seem to slow down the burn by much.  I would like to switch to Chunks but I bought too many bags of chips



Always Always Always Spray mist down the wood chips. I am talking reg. elect or charcoal etc.

Always unless of course you don't.biggrin.gif  Seriously though I do. I also use wine or apple juice and i think it adds flavor.

Some think its all in the head but i don't have to much going on up there so i don't think so. Makes me feel good any way.

Karl

 

post #49 of 49

Soak chips, then in a foil pouch with small holes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Woods for Smoking
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Woods for Smoking › Wet Vs. Dry Wood Burn Comparison