or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › First time beef ribs with Qview
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time beef ribs with Qview

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

this was my first attempt to make beef ribs. I made a rub similar to what you'd use with prime rib, that is, heavy on the pepper, with salt and garlic powder. I toned it down and gave it a Florida twist with celery seed and orange peel.

 

They turned out pretty good. They didn't even need a sauce (contrary to my wife's opinion, who sauces everything). They shrunk a lot but the meat was more tender and fattier than brisket.

 

IMG_1627.jpg

 

IMG_1629.jpg

 

IMG_1633.jpg

post #2 of 14

Those look really good! I have never had beef ribs so I think I'll be giving those a try before long! Great job!

post #3 of 14

Great Looking Ribs...

post #4 of 14

They look great. It's amazing how much beef ribs shrink when you smoke them.

post #5 of 14

th_sSig_wow.gifit looks great and yummy well done

post #6 of 14

They look awesome!

 

What method did you use?  3-2-1?

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

It was more like a 5-2 than 3-2-1. I guess I treated them more like brisket than ribs.

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LutzNutz View Post

It was more like a 5-2 than 3-2-1. I guess I treated them more like brisket than ribs.



 I would assume you do not like your steak well done, why the beefies? I never do them more than 4 1/2 hours. Still want some pink in mine. A modified 3-2-1 at 2.5- 1.5 - .5 works good for that purpose.

post #9 of 14

I could go for a few of those with my coffee. biggrin.gif

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash View Post
 I would assume you do not like your steak well done, why the beefies? I never do them more than 4 1/2 hours. Still want some pink in mine. A modified 3-2-1 at 2.5- 1.5 - .5 works good for that purpose.


Well, it was the first time I had done them, so I was kind of winging it on the times. I do think they where in the smoker longer than necessary since they cooked pretty quick. They probably could have been foiled at 4 hours.

 

I do prefer my steaks rare but have noticed that rare meat on the bone can be a little tough and/or stringy, which I'd like to avoid. The next time I do them I'll try a shorter initial smoke and a longer foil.

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LutzNutz View Post

Quote:


Well, it was the first time I had done them, so I was kind of winging it on the times. I do think they where in the smoker longer than necessary since they cooked pretty quick. They probably could have been foiled at 4 hours.

 

I do prefer my steaks rare but have noticed that rare meat on the bone can be a little tough and/or stringy, which I'd like to avoid. The next time I do them I'll try a shorter initial smoke and a longer foil.


I am with you on the stringyness of beef ribs.  I love a rare steak, but the rib bones have to be cooked.

 

I did some whole beef shorts ribs a while back.  I wanted them tender, but not falling apart.  Here is what I did, and was pleased with the results.  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/108159/whole-short-ribs-first-attempt

 

I want to do some rib bones, but they want $2.99 lb. for them, and they are trimmed right to the bone.  One time last summer Whole Foods had them on sale for $0.99.  I had to get there early and stock up. 

 

post #12 of 14

I'm with scooper on this on.

 

 

Quote:
I am with you on the stringyness of beef ribs.  I love a rare steak, but the rib bones have to be cooked.

 

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LutzNutz View Post

Quote:


Well, it was the first time I had done them, so I was kind of winging it on the times. I do think they where in the smoker longer than necessary since they cooked pretty quick. They probably could have been foiled at 4 hours.

 

I do prefer my steaks rare but have noticed that rare meat on the bone can be a little tough and/or stringy, which I'd like to avoid. The next time I do them I'll try a shorter initial smoke and a longer foil.




 Get a good meaty beef rib and you will not feel that way. Medium rare was outstanding.

 

PrimeBone017.jpg

post #14 of 14

Flash, that rib looks amazing.  What was the seasoning and mop?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › First time beef ribs with Qview