What to do with Cooked Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chew2475

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Connecticut
So my wife came home today with two of these cooked salami chubs for free today. She works for a place that gets close to expiring products dropped off from local supermarkets and we reap the benefit many times. (Also got a bologna chub which I have plans for and about 10 bags of shredded mozzarella). However I am perplexed as what I can do with these salami chubs other than make sandwiches. Anybody ever smoke these or cook something with them. Open to any and all ideas.

Salami.jpg

'Cooked' salami is called cotto salami. Use it in breakfast dishes, pastas, lasagna, pizza topping, salads, and charcuterie boards.....can also use chopped, mixed with cheese for a tortellini filling. Or, as you mentioned, on sandwiches....like a muffaletta!

Reactions: forktender
However I am perplexed as what I can do with these salami chubs other than make sandwiches. Anybody ever smoke these or cook something with them. Open to any and all ideas.
I use salami in grill cheese all the time . Hot salami ( temp not spice ) is one of the best things most don't even think about . There's a deli down on the Hill in St. Louis that sells a hot salami sandwich . It's fantastic .
I have smoked salami chubs . I use a 200 degree smoker temp and take the chubs to 152 . You will get some grease on the surface . I wipe it off , cool in fridge . Then slice and eat with crackers .
Good in salads as said above or I like it in pasta salad with a good Italian dressing .

Reactions: chew2475
I use salami in grill cheese all the time . Hot salami ( temp not spice ) is one of the best things most don't even think about . There's a deli down on the Hill in St. Louis that sells a hot salami sandwich . It's fantastic .
I have smoked salami chubs . I use a 200 degree smoker temp and take the chubs to 152 . You will get some grease on the surface . I wipe it off , cool in fridge . Then slice and eat with crackers .
Good in salads as said above or I like it in pasta salad with a good Italian dressing .

I was wondering if anyone ever smoked it. What wood did you use?

I was wondering if anyone ever smoked it. What wood did you use?
I used an MES 30 with a tube in the mail box . I don't remember for sure , but I'd say probably oak . I use beech for Hams and bologna and only have so much of that left , so I don't use it for stuff like this . Otherwise I'm not that picky about the rest . Use what ever you like or have on hand . I went hot and fast to get it to temp in under 4 hours . You will render some fat that way , but that's what I wanted . Came out like Oscar Meyer hard salami . Try a small section and see what you think . I wouldn't do a whole chub to start .
I think my first cook with that would be Calzones .

Reactions: chew2475
So you reap the rewards for taking food from a shelter kind of establishment? Good on you !!!!!!!

So you reap the rewards for taking food from a shelter kind of establishment? Good on you !!!!!!!

If you consider a shelter establishment to be a place where expiring food is dropped off and then picked up by local farmers to feed pigs and other animals a shelter establishment then yes I guess I am in the wrong. Should probably ask questions before just assuming things.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky