Vintage Hotpoint Fridge Electric Smoker questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bu11dog13795

Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I was going to purchase a PK100 electric smoker, but I acquired a vintage Refrigerator that I would like to convert to the same style smoker. It will mostly be for making Snack Sticks, summer sausage, and Jerky so a low set point 120°f-140°f would be ideal, and I would also like to do normal smoking Temps, I would never go above 275°f . I have an idea of what I need, and what I need to do, but I figured I would ask for advise so I do not waste time and money. How do I figure out what size element to use, what PID to get, and is there anything else I should do or get to make this as efficient as a commercial smoker like the PK100?

If you need 275F, use the oven in your kitchen...
I don't need 275°f, I was talking in terms of upper and lower limits, I usually smoke brisket at 225°f which is the hottest i would run it, and using the oven in my kitchen is poor advice and not helpful!

I don't need 275°f, I was talking in terms of upper and lower limits, I usually smoke brisket at 225°f which is the hottest i would run it, and using the oven in my kitchen is poor advice and not helpful!

Why is it poor advice ??? I use my oven to finish meats, after the smoke is applied, ALL THE TIME .... Just finishing the cook is all...... It's more efficient and it's an oven.... It's designed to cook meats etc....

Why is it poor advice ??? I use my oven to finish meats, after the smoke is applied, ALL THE TIME .... Just finishing the cook is all...... It's more efficient and it's an oven.... It's designed to cook meats etc....
Because I'm asking for advise on building a smoker. Not using an oven.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky