Used Masterbuilt Smoker - missing wood tray/box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Lowcountry, SC
I recently picked up a Masterbuilt propane smoker for dirt cheap. I still love my Weber Kettle, but I haven't had a propane smoker in years and had been wanting one. And this big boy was 50 bucks, so I jumped on it.

It's missing whatever wood box or tray typically comes with it. I've been getting by doing foil packs of chips, poking holes in them, and placing them on the plate over the burners. But I'd like to have a more permanent solution. Here's pics of the unit and the inside of the bottom. What would you all suggest here? Thanks.
MB1.jpg

MB2.jpg

Yours is different inside than mine. My burner has a grate on it. Mine's like 8 years old. I sit it right over the burner.

Warren

On mine, I experimented with different heights. Too low, you get a lot of smoke for a short period of time. Too high, you can't get the chunks to light. This is what I came up with and it works pretty well. I toss in a few chips to get things going and chunks around the edges of the square pan. I cover the pan with foil and poke a few holes in it. I haven't had any flare ups.

You might decide to skip it all together and get a pellet tray or tube. I'm using my tray more often now.

B591FFD8-76EA-4B8B-AA3D-10AB56E3BD87.jpeg

Reactions: scvinegarpepper
Thanks, everyone. I just ordered an 8" cast iron skillet to give it a shot. I'll play around with the height this weekend when I throw a couple butts on.

Reactions: tag0401
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky