Thinking of getting an electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dunstablegrizzly

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Dunstable, MA
So I have had an offset smoker which I sold due to lack of use. Use my WSM and kettle for the majority of my smoking. Just kind of got tired doing long smokes in my offset and feeding splits every 30 to 45 minutes. Anyways that was about 6 years ago I let my offset go.

So I’ve been thinking a lot about purchasing an electric smoker. I am not a huge fan of super Smokey bbq. Just a hint of smoke is fine for my wife and I. Unless it’s a brisket then we do like the string smoke taste of mesquite.

Looking for any advice.

George

If you are looking for lighter smoke, have you considered a pellet grill? don't have to babysit feeding wood to them and can adjust amount of smoke profile on some models.
Would a master built mes 30 or 40 electric smoker with a mailbox mod for adding smoke be something that could work for you?
What kinds of meat ( or other items) would you want to use the new smoker for?

Pellet smokers are definitely a nice easy way to go. That's why I bought one...ease of use. Still have my other smokers as well. Somewhat depends also on how much you want to spend.

Ryan

A pellet grill sounds like the ticket for what you're looking for. You won't get a heavy smoke flavor without trying to, and ease of operation is a plus. They aren't exactly set and forget ....... they need monitoring, but as close as it gets.

If you are looking for lighter smoke, have you considered a pellet grill? don't have to babysit feeding wood to them and can adjust amount of smoke profile on some models.
Would a master built mes 30 or 40 electric smoker with a mailbox mod for adding smoke be something that could work for you?
What kinds of meat ( or other items) would you want to use the new smoker for?
Exactly my thought

My electric gets used for sausage and hams . I don't usually do " meals " in it . I have other options for that . I bought a pellet grill in July of '21 . It gets used more than any of them now . Makes fantastic food .

So I have had an offset smoker which I sold due to lack of use. Use my WSM and kettle for the majority of my smoking. Just kind of got tired doing long smokes in my offset and feeding splits every 30 to 45 minutes. Anyways that was about 6 years ago I let my offset go.

So I’ve been thinking a lot about purchasing an electric smoker. I am not a huge fan of super Smokey bbq. Just a hint of smoke is fine for my wife and I. Unless it’s a brisket then we do like the string smoke taste of mesquite.

Looking for any advice.

George
Here's something to consider.

If you can get your hands on a free or cheap Masterbuilt Electric Smoker 40 inch digial smoker (MES 40) then you can do a simple rewire (cut ends off 4 wires and wire nut to make 2 whole wires from the ends).

An Auber PID controller runs like $160 before shipping and would make this cheap/free MES 40 unit better than anything you could buy brand new even at an $800 price point! Hell of a deal for $160 and what ever peanuts you give for a used MES 40.

In my area they are always listed for sale super cheap on Craigslist and I imagine they are always listed on Facebook garage sale posts.

As long as the heating element isn't damaged any MES failing due to electronics is a nice cheap and easy one to pick up. The simple rewire makes electricity pretty much go straight to the heating element so busted electronics is not an issue. The Auber PID would control cutting heat on/off to the heating element at that point.
An Auber PID controlled MES with a mailbox mod + A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker tray is set and forget! I smoke briskets and pork butts all the time overnight while I sleep. I love it!

Again, just something to consider as you are looking around trying to figure out what you want to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Smokin-It electrics are known as Lazy-Q. Put the meat in, add 4-6 oz of wood, turn it on and wait until meat reaches temp and is done. No spritzing or checking required.

Reactions: 801driver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky