Sous vide in mail now need to learn how to use

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BC Buck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
MO
If USPS ever gets around to delivering it I will need to learn how to use. Venison chops and steaks will be first on the list. Where is best place to learn tips and tricks for sous vide all proteins?

Look at bearcarvers step by step index, he has several SV cooks listed. Be one place to start. Good luck and hope you enjoy it!

Ryan

Reactions: crazymoon
The thing that made me pull the SV trigger was boneless skinless chicken breasts. Simple things like chicken salad or chicken to toss in with a pasta dish is easy, moist and the flavor is up to you. I like 147° X 90 to 100 minutes. Bag seasonings like Montreal, your favorite rub, any combination of herbs, butter, sweet peppers, onion, lemon slice are all good. End sear in pan or grill. If it's gong into a pasta or other Italian dish with sauce you can skip the end sear.

Your unit will probably come with basic instructions and/or an app.
Or you can buy a book
IMG_3630.jpg
About all we use ours for now is steaks. Venison steaks would probably cook the same....
You'll like it!

Last edited:

scroll down

There's a whole forum here about Sous Vide. Your unit will probably come with basic instructions and/or an app.
Or you can buy a book
View attachment 485913
About all we use ours for now is steaks. Venison steaks would probably cook the same....
You'll like it!
Thanks Buying used on ebay. Will see if comes with any instructions. This SM forum can be used like a college course.

scroll down
Wow,Thanks

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Thanks Buying used on ebay. Will see if comes with any instructions. This SM forum can be used like a college course.
I edited out the part about the forum when I realized that's where this post is (duh).
I guess the main thing with an SV is that whatever you set it to the temp won't get higher. The longer they cook the tenderer things get but they won't get over done. You're just going to have to play with it a bit. We like our steaks medium so I cook at 130 for 2, 3 hours whatever. Still pink in the middle. If you sear them too soon after taking them out of the bag though it cooks them a little more.
I let them cool for a minute or so before searing.
That's just my opinion. As you can see, there are a lot of opinions here. Get some cheaper cuts and experiment before you risk your Venison...

Reactions: BC Buck
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky