Shocking!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raselkirk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Port Neches, TX
Hi All,

My MES30 started giving out low voltage shocks today. Enough to feel but not enough to hurt. It's plugged into a GFI outlet, so I'm not really sure why it's not faulting the breaker? Anyhow, just looking to see if anyone else has experienced this and I'm looking through this forum to see what my options are in lieu of total replacement.

Russ

You likely have an open ground wire in your power cord. That will cause shocks and may not trip the GFCI... Test continuity of your ground pin from the plug to the smoker body.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: 73saint and kruizer
As JC in GB JC in GB pointed outlet. A GFIC outlet won't work in a ungrounded circuit as it is supposed to.
I would say that you lost the ground in either the smoker, the cord, or the GFIC outlet is faulty. Either way. You shouldn't be getting a shock from the smoker. You can purchase a GFIC tester pretty cheap to test the outlet. If you another GFIC outlet try plugging the smoker into it to see if it trips. It can help you narrow down what is causing this. Did you feel the shock when the smoker was plugged in. But not heating?

I know the GFI circuit is good.

Got the "tingles" when it was on, seems as though when I turned off the unit's control panel, it quit. One thing different than normal, I unloaded it just after getting out of the pool, standing dripping wet and barefoot on a cement patio deck, so it may have been like this before and was just now noticed due to that situation. Still doesn't make it right. I'll check the ground and maybe pull the back panel sometime next few days...

Russ

Reactions: JC in GB
Being wet may have had something to do with it. I'm a little shy when it comes to water / electricity. Was nervous pressure washing backside of house today. That's where the power meter is at. Always scares me.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Went to check ground continuity from the cord's ground prong to case, grates, etc. this weekend. There is no, nor never has been, a ground prong on my plug! There are hot and neutral as expected, and a "bump out" on the side for a ground prong, but there was never a 3rd prong in it. On my plug, it's just a slightly recessed, same-plastic filled, dent. Seems pretty dangerous to sell something like this intended for outdoor use.

So, I can either replace the cord with a grounded one or buy a new smoker. To (re)wire correctly, where would that green ground wire attach inside the case?

Thanks!

Russ

Went to check ground continuity from the cord's ground prong to case, grates, etc. this weekend. There is no, nor never has been, a ground prong on my plug! There are hot and neutral as expected, and a "bump out" on the side for a ground prong, but there was never a 3rd prong in it. On my plug, it's just a slightly recessed, same-plastic filled, dent. Seems pretty dangerous to sell something like this intended for outdoor use.
It was probably on there and might have got stuck in the outlet when unplugged at some point .
Some are a pressed fit and to pull off the plug can be common . Check the outlet where it was plugged in , and see if the prong is there . In any event , missing ground can cause your problem .

It was probably on there and might have got stuck in the outlet when unplugged at some point .
Some are a pressed fit and to pull off the plug can be common . Check the outlet where it was plugged in , and see if the prong is there . In any event , missing ground can cause your problem .

You may be right. I took another look in the sun, what I thought was molded plastic in the ground port looks more like it was once a metallic prong broke off 1/8" below level. It's not broke off in my outlet though. Oddly, I've never plugged my smoker into any other outlet, and this one is clear of busted prongs...

Russ

Billy Bob to the rescue!

I removed the (4 x 6) back panel to see how hard it would be to replace the power cord. Seems I'd need to drill out a couple dozen rivets and thus, the entire back panel. So, I found a #10 wood screw, pilot-drilled the stub in the plug, ran the screw in, and checked for continuity - good! Pulled the screw, ground off the head, ran it back in with needle-nosed vice grips, and DONE! No more tingles.

Russ

Attachments

• 20200724_110534_resized.jpg
    20200724_110534_resized.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 11
Ya know for $3.00 you can buy a new end for the cord, easy to replace , you still shouldn't have gotten shocked without a ground unless there's something wrong, it should trip the gfi if the gfi is working correctly because that's its job

Reactions: Steve H
Ya know for $3.00 you can buy a new end for the cord, easy to replace , you still shouldn't have gotten shocked without a ground unless there's something wrong, it should trip the gfi if the gfi is working correctly because that's its job

Yup, I got fixated on replacing the entire cord. When I saw how much trouble it was gonna be, I did the first thing that came to mind. Next time out, I'll get a new end.

The wiring inside the panel looks new, no sign of corrosion or damage. I know the GFI works, I have my landscape lights, fountain, and Christmas lights (when applicable) on that circuit and all must be perfect to not trip the breaker. All electrical connection requires a large dose of silicon grease for waterproofing to keep it working.

I still have to wonder if being barefoot and wet was enough to induce a low-draw tingle, but I'm not gonna test that theory if at all possible!

Russ

Yup, I got fixated on replacing the entire cord. When I saw how much trouble it was gonna be, I did the first thing that came to mind. Next time out, I'll get a new end.

The wiring inside the panel looks new, no sign of corrosion or damage. I know the GFI works, I have my landscape lights, fountain, and Christmas lights (when applicable) on that circuit and all must be perfect to not trip the breaker. All electrical connection requires a large dose of silicon grease for waterproofing to keep it working.

I still have to wonder if being barefoot and wet was enough to induce a low-draw tingle, but I'm not gonna test that theory if at all possible!

Russ

Unless what you felt was a static shock. You can get a non-contact voltage detector rated for low voltage to see if the case is carrying any voltage.

Wanted to post back to say I replaced the plug end and it still trips my GFI breaker. Currently running an extension cord to a non-GFI outlet, no shocks, and thankfully, no tripping off in the middle of a cook. Time to look for a new electric smoker!

Russ

Wanted to post back to say I replaced the plug end and it still trips my GFI breaker. Currently running an extension cord to a non-GFI outlet, no shocks, and thankfully, no tripping off in the middle of a cook. Time to look for a new electric smoker!

Russ

What you are describing sounds like behavior (well not the shocks) of some other guys electric smokers around here. Seems the element is wearing out or the insulation at the base of the element is wearing out causing some current leakage. Enough to trip the GFI but still so low that most people have no idea its happening and when plugged into a non-GFI socket everything seems to work as intended.

Their solutions were to replace the heating element as its a sign of things wearing out :)
This sounds like an option for you to try rather than buying a whole new smoker. The elements are like $30-$40 bucks I think online at parts places that sell new MES elements.

I hope this info helps :)

What you are describing sounds like behavior (well not the shocks) of some other guys electric smokers around here. Seems the element is wearing out or the insulation at the base of the element is wearing out causing some current leakage. Enough to trip the GFI but still so low that most people have no idea its happening and when plugged into a non-GFI socket everything seems to work as intended.

Their solutions were to replace the heating element as its a sign of things wearing out :)
This sounds like an option for you to try rather than buying a whole new smoker. The elements are like $30-$40 bucks I think online at parts places that sell new MES elements.

I hope this info helps :)

Thanks, I'll look into it. The wiring inside the rear access panel looks as-new, but the interior of the box is...suffering. I used to clean it once a year but it's been a while since the last. I've been using my pressure washer to clean the grids and have often thought about masking off the electronic panel and blasting the guts. Might be a good time to see if it'll work. It was 100° here yesterday, maybe I'll blast it clean, flip it face up with the door open, and let the sun bake it dry...

Russ

Thanks, I'll look into it. The wiring inside the rear access panel looks as-new, but the interior of the box is...suffering. I used to clean it once a year but it's been a while since the last. I've been using my pressure washer to clean the grids and have often thought about masking off the electronic panel and blasting the guts. Might be a good time to see if it'll work. It was 100° here yesterday, maybe I'll blast it clean, flip it face up with the door open, and let the sun bake it dry...

Russ

Another guy mention somewhere that he had grease or gunk at the back of the element that was conducting some current and cleaning up inside the smoker where the element and the inside wall meat helped solve this problem. That is a simple thing to try before going to stronger measures :)

Yeah, I pressured washed the inside and checked it after drying on a non-GFI loop to make sure it still works. Still need to check it on the GFI...

Russ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky