Salami meat cuts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Blackdogbbq21

Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it with a search. I'm still a newbie with Salami making. I notice some recipes i've looked at call for cuts of meat with intermuscular fat and no back fat. Other times i see recipes that specify lean cuts with back fat. Just curious if there are rules of thumb to follow for certain types of Salamis where i really should find and use backfat and lean cuts for a better finished product.

It just depends on tradition for the most part. There are subtle differences in the chemical make up of the different types of fat. Intermuscular fat can be broken down by the microbes easily to create an explosion of fatty acids and flavor molecules so the Norcini will use different ratios of fat depending on the flavor he is looking to create. Also depends on the diameter of the salami and how long it will age...

Reactions: Blackdogbbq21
As far as lean cuts....when making salami, since it will not be cooked, every little scrap of sinew, tendon, and connective tissue must be removed otherwise you will get bits stuck between your teeth and that does not make for a great eating experience. It will not breakdown while drying and may also impart off flavors with age. Take the time even though it is a PITA to remove all that stuff from the meat prior to mixing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky