Reverse Texas Crutch?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drewski300

Original poster
Mar 12, 2022
So our briskets have been great so far. But I just tried Valetina's in Austin, Texas and it amazing. I'm guessing it has mostly to do with the farm they are buying from (Prime, grass fed, local, etc). But that had me thinking about how I do pork ribs. 4 hours foiled in the oven, cooled, and finish on the Traeger for an hour or more. Has anyone ever tried foiling a brisket first until after 155-165° then finishing unwrapped???

I recently smoked our brisket we got from our 1/2 grass fed cow and it was significantly more juicy than anything we've purchased from Costco/Sams Club. So not sure if it's more important to buy local vs. through someone like the above named stores.

Reactions: JLeonard
Has anyone ever tried foiling a brisket first until after 155-165° then finishing unwrapped???
I’m pretty sure I read on here from folks way more senior than me that smoke favor and bark get created when the meat is fresh and cold and war among rather than after mostly cooked. Which is why if you wrap you wrap at the end.

Personally I never wrap anything - with the one exception of a totally blown timeline that needs to be sped up.

Makes sense. I think that ultimately, it was the quality of beef that has me thinking about other ways. The very first brisket we ever cooked was unbelievable. Since then, they haven't been as good as the first (IMO) but all of our guests rave about them. I think Sams and Costco prime briskets are good but I may try a couple of local sources next.

A piece of meat will continue to absorb smoke flavor as long as it is exposed to smoke, however, smoke ring development stops around 150~160*. Wrapping is mainly done to help push through the stall.

I cannot answer for the Briskets as still on my list of do's

Like the others above have said smoke first so it soaks in, than wrap if that is what you do. I have done ribs both ways (wrapped and not )
depending on what you are going for.
But there are many others with many years experience that might drop by with more answers

Also welcome to the Forum , from Nova Scotia

David

Thanks David. Yes I've done both with ribs as well and much prefer how tender the ribs are if I wrap and roast for 4 hours in the oven first. Then finish with a little higher temp on the pellet grill. But maybe that's because it's covered in bbq sauce. The ribs are completely fall off the bone and that's why I like cooling down before finishing. Keep thing from totaling falling apart. That's sort of wondering why this couldn't be done with a brisket. But with beef prices right now, I'm not going to experiment...

I don't wrap ribs unless I have hungry guests waiting and the stall is taking longer than usual. My problem with the number-number-number method is that it is dependent on time. BBQ is done when it's done, not when a timer goes off. Wrapping equals steaming, and I think a lot of flavor is lost that way, plus I like a nice crunchy crust. A good 24 hour dry brine is the best way to keep ribs moist. Do what you like, but I think it's called a "crutch" for a reason.

Last edited:
My thoughts on ribs are a little different than a brisket. I don't go as much for a flavor profile because the sauce (to me) adds the most flavor. So I don't mind losing that flavor on the wrapping part because I sauce the ribs and cook them for an hour on 350°. I was just thinking about how tender my ribs are and wondering if you could do the same with a brisket. But you brought up a great point that the meat would certainly be more bland wrapping it.

Interesting thought. I’m not 100 percent sure, but I think this is considered “dry braising” where the meat is essentially braised in its own fat. I’ve tried a brisket braised in wine and beef broth with potatoes, onion, etc years ago and I remember enjoying it, but the result wasn’t like a brisket, more brisket stew🤣 let it go a little too long snd it was fall apart. You’d want to save those juices and I’m sure there would be a few pounds of drippings! The last bit would have to be dedicated to making some bark, if that’s desired. I guess as I talk through it the biggest setback would be a dramatically reduced smoke profile, but if that isn’t a concern then I think it would work fine, people cook them in ovens all the time. Probably won’t have classic pit flavor, even with an attempt at Smokey bark at the end, but would likely work for a juicy brisket.

Last edited:
prefer how tender the ribs are if I wrap and roast for 4 hours in the oven first. Then finish with a little higher temp on the pellet grill.

Interesting technique. Have you tried 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 (for baby backs) That should give you smoke flavor, plus fall off the bone tenderness. I find you can drink more beer outside near smoker as opposed to inside.

Reactions: Nefarious
Interesting technique. Have you tried 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 (for baby backs) That should give you smoke flavor, plus fall off the bone tenderness. I find you can drink more beer outside near smoker as opposed to inside.
I have tried that technique and didn't like it as much. With ribs, I season then double wrap them and go 275° in the oven for 4 hours. I fully cool them down so they are a little firmer so they don't fully fall apart. Then I will sauce them and onto the Traeger at 375° for 1 hour. Some people like firmer ribs or brisket with a little bit of snap. I prefer them to be completely fall off the bone!

I prefer a Weller Antique 107 on ice :emoji_wink:

Interesting thought. I’m not 100 percent sure, but I think this is considered “dry braising” where the meat is essentially braised in its own fat. I’ve tried a brisket braised in wine and beef broth with potatoes, onion, etc years ago and I remember enjoying it, but the result wasn’t like a brisket, more brisket stew🤣 let it go a little too long snd it was fall apart. You’d want to save those juices and I’m sure there would be a few pounds of drippings! The last bit would have to be dedicated to making some bark, if that’s desired. I guess as I talk through it the biggest setback would be a dramatically reduced smoke profile, but if that isn’t a concern then I think it would work fine, people cook them in ovens all the time. Probably won’t have classic pit flavor, even with an attempt at Smokey bark at the end, but would likely work for a juicy brisket.
Great point! I use my roasts for that!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky